Chapter Eight: In where Chaeyoung relives the past

Chaeyoung

When I'm finally off the plane and back inside my designated car, I check my text messages.

jennie
chaeng i heard that you're in seoul what's the matter?
jennie
ok i just called jisoo but please answer we need to talk.

me
hey jennie

I don't expect Jennie to answer as the time is already nearing midnight but soon, those three dots on appear at the bottom of the chatroom, indicating that she's typing.

jennie
i'm really sorry about everything that's been going on but there's something important that i need to tell you
you know how lisa i were pretty close back in the day?

When I had just joined the label as a trainee, I had immediately befriended Jennie. Lalisa and I were still very close, but I didn't get to see her as often as we used to since I had moved to an online schooling program. I remember Jennie and I were paired up as roommates after a couple of months and she's the first person that I ever told about my feelings towards Lisa.

"What was your life like before you became a trainee?" Jennie asks as we're snuggling into our bunk beds after a long day of hard work.

"It was pretty normal, I guess. When I live in Australia, I liked singing but I never really thought of it as something that I could pursue as a career. And then I moved here and school was awful for a while, but then I met a friend who I sang songs to. She said she really liked the songs that I wrote and urged me to audition. So, here I am."

"And who's this friend? I wanna meet her," Jennie asks from above me.

"We recently got into a fight."

"Wanna tell me why?"

Fuck. I wasn't sure if I wanted to tell Jennie about the nature of my relationship with Lisa. So far, everything has been kept a secret. But if I told Jennie, it's not like she would tell anyone. In fact, Jennie would probably give me advice on what to do. And advice is exactly what I need right now.

"It's kinda a long story," I say.

"Go on."

"Her name is Lalisa. On her sixteenth birthday, we... kissed," I admit. I wait for a reaction from Jennie, but she remains silent, so I decide to go on. "For a few months, we didn't talk about it at all and just ignored it. But then a couple months later, it happened again. And then it kept on happening. I don't know what we were but... it's whatever. And then the auditions were open and when I got accepted, I took the opportunity. Part of it was because I finally had a chance in the industry, and the other was because I need something to keep me away from her cause I had no idea what was going on between us and I still don't. We've been staying in contact and everything was fine up until a week ago. She invited me over to her house and we kinda made out? I just kinda left her house afterwards and just a few days ago I messaged her and we got into a fight."

"Wow," Jennie says after a while.

"Yeah," I mumble, wondering if I had made a mistake by telling Jennie.

"Okay, so why is it that you and Lisa fight whenever you guys kiss or make out?"

"I don't know," I mutter, burying my face into the sheets. "It's just not supposed to happen."

"And why not?"

"Because I'm straight. I like guys. And Lisa's just supposed to be a friend," I say, making sure to stress every last word.

"Are you sure about that?" Jennie asks. "Chaeyoung," Jennie says, "I don't know much of the situation. But if you like Lisa as a friend, then go ahead and tell her that you only want to be friends. If you want her as more than a friend, go ahead and tell her that."

"It's harder than it seems," I mumble.

"Really? What does Lisa feel about the entire situation?"

"Do you like her that way or not?"

"It's complicated."

"Just answer with your first instinct. Yes or no?"

"Yes."

"Great. So tell Lisa and see how she feels."

"But. What if she doesn't like me in that way? What if I ruin our friendship."

Jennie's head suddenly hangs down from her bed and I have to cover my mouth to prevent myself from screaming. "I don't know a lot about you guys. But considering the fact that you guys just made out two weeks ago, if Lisa says that she doesn't like you that way, then she's probably lying."

I endED up taking Jennie's advice and told Lisa how I felt. I remember the exact moment when we officially started dating. We kept it a secret. The only people who knew about the nature of our relationship was Jennie. Everyone else knew we were close, but they thought of as close friends. Those five months of my life were the best.

And then my plans of debuting came closer and closer. I stopped talking to Lalisa as much to work long hours to improve my skills. And Lalisa was starting her 11th grade year. We were both too caught up in our lives and hardly made time for each other.

And then came the day where I knew for sure I was going to debut. The music video had been filmed and the album was completely finished. Jennie warned me that my every move in reach of the public eye was going to be scrutinized and over-analyzed. By now, Jennie had already solidified her career as a model, and so she knew all the ups and downs of being famous.

Long story short, Lalisa and I broke things off a week before my debut. And not in a good way. We didn't talk for years until Lalisa messaged me about a week ago. And now everything has turned into a giant mess, but now Jennie is messaging me telling me that there's something important.

jennie
a couple of weeks ago lisa texted me.
it was right the day before your album release

Jennie and Lisa had become great friends back then. But after the breakup, Jennie told me that Lalisa stopped answering any of her calls or messages. I always felt bad for being part of the reason why their friendship ended, but perhaps it was for the best.

me
what'd she say?

jennie
she asked me if it was possible for you guys to get back together?

And then Jennie sends a picture of their conversation.

lalisa
hey jennie i know it's been a long while since we talked. i don't even know if you still use this number but it's worth a shot.

me
hey lisa. I didn't expect you to suddenly reach out to me.

lalisa
i'm sorry about the way i left things with you. it's just that i didn't want to make anything awkward between you and chaeyoung.

me
it's okay. i understand. how are things with you and chaeyoung?

lalisa
i haven't spoken to her since our breakup years ago. but i guess that's what i wanted to ask. i know it's late but do you think chaeyoung still likes me?

me
I don't think she'll ever stop liking you.

And that's the end of it.

me
i need to make things right with her.

A/N: Hey, guys! I hope everyone is enjoying the story so far and if you do please vote or comment! I see the views on the story rising but I don't know how you guys feel about it :)))) so please don't be a silent reader