♪3 • A Friend♪

Crowley X Aziraphale

"Can you still remember how this started?" Aziraphale asked, an innocent curiosity on his face. He was sat on his sofa in the living area of his bookshop, a place obviously not open to the public.

"How what started?" Crowley asked in response, a bit confused. It was a random question that suddenly came from a burst of silence. He was a bit more sprawled out on the couch than Aziraphale, as the other sat much neater as he always did.

"Our..." Aziraphale paused. He was beginning to get somewhat flustered, something that went practically unnoticed by Crowley as he did get flustered for no reason. He shook his head and looked down. "Forget it, it's... It's unimportant."

Crowley cocked an eyebrow towards his friend. "Angel?" He tilted his head a bit, watching him and his expressions.

Aziraphale scoffed a bit, sounding like the demon had just offended him. "That's not an insult," he spat out.

Crowley's eyebrows went furrowed now. "It wasn't meant to be an insult." He was even more confused now than he was by the original question. And now Aziraphale had his arms crossed. "Why would I want to insult you? We're friends."

Aziraphale tilted his head upwards and exclaimed, "we're not-!" He cut himself off, knowing what he was going to say was not quite how he would mean it. "I don't want to be friends, demon!" Now he looked back over at Crowley. He felt a pang of guilt and couldn't bear to keep looking, so he ultimately averted his eyes once again.

"I love you." That's what the angel wanted to say, but he found himself stopping before he could move past "I."

He couldn't finish his sentence. Flashed of Heaven appeared in his mind. The way the other Angels treated him as if he was some sort of disgrace. No one acknowledged his questions, appreciated his input, or valued his presence. He truly couldn't bear to be put down like that by the only one who liked him. To Crowley, he was a friend. A friend.

"I think you should leave," Aziraphale nearly whispered, his eyes as far to the ground as he could take them without moving his head. He was very hurt, and this wasn't even Crowley's fault. It was his own fault, and he knew if he let the demon know how he felt then their friendship would be severed. Everything the angel held with true sentiment would be gone.

"Angel," Crowley tried to argue against his wishes, though his voice was oddly calm. It wasn't like him to seem so...sympathetic.

"Please...leave me be, Crowley." The Angel now shut his eyes, suppressing his feeling of heartbreak. This left the demon with not a clue on what to do, other than respect his best friend's wishes and leave.

But the goodness that Aziraphale had mentioned, that evening at the Ritz after they'd saved the world, that goodness shone. And it shone only for his angel, the one who had truly shone a beautiful bright light of pure goodness. And he was just enough of a bastard to be worth liking.

Aziraphale felt the warmth of someone else's breath upon his face. There wasn't enough time to even process before he could feel the softness of the lips that could only belong to the man who was next to him. The kiss lasted for a very long and pleasant time. Their mouths could have fused together if they hadn't been careful.

Once the lips had parted from the angel's face, Aziraphale opened his eyes. The sight of Crowley sitting in front of him, glasses removed, and a soft hint of a smile on his face was just enough to get him to start getting outwardly emotional. His eyes began to burn with tears that threatened to fall.

"Say what you wouldn't, Angel," the demon requested, his voice as soft as silk. Just like his lips.

"I love you," Aziraphale whispered, his toothy grin appearing on his face as a tear rolled down his cheek. Heartbreak had turned to happiness, and it was all thanks to his Demon.

---
A/N: listen, I tried to just write a little fluffy drabble, and I had the idea of maybe if even like 200-400 words of Aziraphale being innocent telling Crowley he loves him, but my brain decided to make this a 700 angst w/ happy ending, the second one of the day.

I have an angst issue.