♪10 • In the Nowhere♪

The inspiration for this oneshot comes from a mix of this new song Ashley Purdy (ex-bassist of Black Veil Brides) recently released, and the premise of a fanfiction I wrote a few years ago (that is no longer up so don't go looking for it please, thanks). Please do enjoy. If this actually goes well, I may reboot the fanfiction as a real novel.//

The fall was excruciating. The farther I fell, the more speed I picked up. It was as if all laws of nature became defunct; that's the crazy thing about God and how She really ran things. My entire structure changed, my entire being turning Occult. My aversion to hellfire quickly transferred to power, my immunity to holy water simply extinguished.

The fall wasn't quite so far, and even as I drew more speed every passing second I could feel the time slow just a hair longer. It made my time feel infinite. All until the sudden splash. The very moment I made contact with the sulfur my angelic vessel already started to burn away.

I burned. With every ounce of my body, I burned. I burned until there was nothing left. Then my new immune skin formed, wrapping around every ethereal bone from ribs outward. As the pain subsided, all I could do was watch the skin form until it was out of sight from the acid.

I felt my feet at the bottom of the river. My toes wiggled themselves into the smooth sand. The sand was practically a liquid itself, broken down to such a fine silt. My fingertips brushed the the surface of the fluid. I walked forward, heading deeper. Eventually I reached a point where I could just dive. I shut my eyes tight and went under, plunging into a crevasse of the river.

I built the courage to open my eyes. I could see, quite clearly at that. My hair was flowing everywhere, long and black. My reaction to the sight helped me realize I could also breathe. I wasn't quite a body, just the visual of my occult soul. I didn't need to breathe, I could see everything perfectly clear, and I could smell the sulfur distinctly. But I paid no mind to the smell. It just didn't bother me. Everything was processing. I became a demon.

"I am a demon."

It all clicked. I was a demon, and the change was permanent. I grabbed my hair and began to scream. The pain of the situation finally set in, and I was alone at the bottom of the sulphuric acid river. I screamed and cried where no one would hear me. This river in the middle of a deep red desert that had no sky and no horizon.

I projected myself back to the surface of the river. My tears had washed away, burned away. I looked out at the nothing that surpassed the river at every angle. I was dropped literally nowhere. I started to swim towards the edge of the river. As the floor came closer and closer to me, I walked. I trudged, slowly, achingly, until my bare feet touched the dry dust of sand. Being nowhere, I had nowhere to go, so I went whatever direction forward took me. One step at a time.

My heart ached of nothingness. I still felt like an Angel, but how would I ever be treated like one again? Love was worthless; no one loved a demon. Not like I did. I was abandoned now. Not even the Angels loved me, not before nor would they ever even think to now. Even God left me behind. They all left me in this damned, godforsaken Nowhere. I'm not even worthy of the other demons, so here I am. Walking nowhere.

A dark voice came to me from everywhere in the nowhere. Young Demon.

By now, I had been walking for weeks. Weeks maybe. Every day I ached worse, yet every day I grew more numb. I was attacked by my damnation every day, I was reduced to nothing. I felt it all, yet I felt nothing.

What made you fall?

"Something tells me you already know the answer," I responded bluntly as my feet kept taking me forward.

Are you ready to find your place, Aziraphale?

Aziraphale. That name just...didn't feel right. That wasn't me anymore. Aziraphale was a lover, a follower, a savior for Earth. Aziraphale was an Angel. Now he was gone. He wasn't me.

I can sense your disdain, young demon. Many like yourself have walked in the very sand your toes feel, and many never left this place.

I was confused. This place was barren. "Where are they then?"

Right beneath your feet.

I stopped so suddenly. For the first time in weeks I wasn't moving forward anymore. The the instant, my stomach turned. Right beneath my feet...

So many of the Fallen never made it to Hell. Their soul escaped with their old vessel, their new occult body useless. I crushed them. They are the sand you walk on, the dust you breathe. They are a reminder of what will happen if you lose your way.

Are you ready to find yourself,
Azazel?

I knew I wasn't ready for anything. But I still had me, somewhere inside. I was still the same string on conscious mind, and though I changed, I was still me.

"Please...help me."