Chapter 26: Erica's home

Start from the beginning

"Did you have it with you this whole time?" I couldn't move. I was really thankful that she thought of me and grabbed some of my stuff, but I was confused about the fact that I didn't notice it before.

"Yes, I did," Erica stated. She walked up to me and crossed her arms in front of her. "Now, because of your stupidity, I have to take care of your back and face."

"Hey! I shielded you from the explosion! I think I at least deserve a thank you."

"Yes, thank you for shielding a girl who had a backpack on, full of clothes." She gave me an annoyed look. "Ben, I was already protected, the clothes would have softened the hit if something would have hit my back. Now, because you had to act like the hero, your hurt."

I wanted to come up with a good comeback, but nothing came to mind. My mind was blank. Erica just made a good point.

"Just take off your shirt." She ended the small silence that was forming between us.

"What?"

"Take off your shirt." She repeated.

I froze and waited for a few seconds, hoping that my mind could catch up with everything that is happening. Though, it didn't help. It was just as blank as it was just a few moments ago. In the haze, I tried to quickly come up with a reply, but the only one that I could think of was... well... stupid. "Ah... I bet you would like that."

It took me more than just a few seconds to realize what I just said. My eyes went wide.

"Get your head out of the gutter!" She quickly replied, trying to show me how she is not kidding around and that I should take this situation more seriously. Though, despite her best efforts, an unwanted blush formed on her cheeks, that made the complete opposite point.

Somewhere in the middle of our brief discussion, my brain thought that I should at least try one more sentence. Deep down I always liked to make Erica blush, if it was intentional or not, it still made me happy and feel accomplished in some way. So, before I could protest, I said something out loud, that I should have probably thought a little bit more through. "Well, do you want me to take my sweet time or should I take it off quickly?"

"Ben!!!"

"Alright, alright. I get it. You don't like it when I make jokes." I understood that I should stop kidding around and show her the cuts and bruises on my back. I turned around and took off my shirt. It was hard to raise my arms. Once the building exploded, I did feel that something hit my shoulder blade and my lower back. Every small movement was painful.

"I will be back. I have to get you some ice. Your whole back is red and full of bruises." Erica quickly walked past me, once she saw my back. "I will also get the first aid kit... you know, for that crooked nose of yours."

"Wait...WHAT!!?! It's crooked?"

"Relax, I'm joking around. It's just bleeding a little. No need to get your panties in a bunch." She disappeared in a different room, but not before she gave me an amused smile.

Erica's POV

Once I got the first aid kit and the ice from the freezer, I came back into the living room. I could see that Ben still hadn't laid back down. He was looking at something in his hands, but because he had his back turned at me I couldn't see what it was.

"What are you looking at?" I asked as I came closer.

He looked at me and once I was close enough to see that he was holding one of the photos of me, my mom and dad, he asked: "How old were you when this photo was taken?"

"About four," I answered, not really knowing what to say next. I have never really been the best at sharing information about my childhood. I did want him to drop the topic right now, but I knew, deep down, that it was finally time for him to know something about my life before spy school.