Chapter five [RE-EDITED]

Stefan's POV
Elena's standing on the edge of the cart, laughing as I'm laughing with her. I stop it in front of the car, opening the trunk and putting some of the bags away. "Okay, time to get off, kiddo." I tell her as she frowns.

"Here, let me help." She states as I shake my head. "It's fine, really." She looks down and looks back up as she says "Fine, I'll put the cart back." I nod as she walks towards the rest of the carts.

She runs back, smiling. "So, where do you wanna go to eat?" I ask, sitting down in the car. Her eyes widen, I can tell she's scared and hesitant because she looks away and takes a minute to answer. "Uh, you don't have to do that, Stef-"

"No, I know. But, I want to." I interrupt. She smiles at me and slightly shakes her head. "Fine, you win." I laugh and shout "Yes!" as she looks at me and laughs.

"Mystic Grill?" She ask's as I nod.

She's asleep with her head against the window. Even when she's asleep she looks so beautiful. I almost don't want to wake her up. I gently tap her, causing her to jump up with a slightly frightened expression on her face.

I could tell she's been through hell just by being with her today. "Hey, we're here." I comment as she nods. "Sorry, I look like a mess." She says, walking into the Waffle House. "No, you don't." I reply, smiling at her. Her eyes widen at me, causing me to look down, feeling slightly embarrassed.

We take our seat, as she clears her throat. "God, I definitely need a coffee." She states as I look up from the menu. "Ah, I had one this morning." I smirk as she playfully throws a napkin at me.

I laugh as a skinny woman with dirty blonde hair and green eyes walks up to us. "Hi, my name is Faith and I'll be your waitress. What can I get you?" As I'm about to say something, Elena interrupts me.

"Yeah, I'll take a French vanilla coffee. Thank you." "I'll take the same thing.." she nods and walks away with our order. "Sorry, I interrupted. I don't like when people order for me." I nod, understanding.

I nod and continue looking at the menu. "What are you gonna get?" I ask as she laughs. "Ahh, just a sandwich and hash browns probably." I laugh and roll my eyes. "Well, I'm not getting hash browns. I actually don't like them." I comment as her jaw drops.

"Seriously? They are so good." She reply's, emphasizing the "So". I make a slightly disgusted face and shake my head. "Nope, nope, and did I mention nope?" She shakes her head and laughs. "Whatever."'She says as the waitress comes back.

"Here you go. Two French vanilla coffees. What else can I get for you guys?" I want to answer but then I remember Elena likes ordering for her self. "I'll have a chicken sandwich with some hash browns." The waitress gives her a weird look and looks at me.

"What can I get you?" She asks. "Uh I'll take hash browns too." I reply as Elena looks at me, shocked. The waitress walks away as Elena says "I thought you didn't like them."

"I don't. I'm not very hungry so I'll just give them to you. If you're still hungry, obviously.."

Elena's POV
Stefan is one of the most caring people I have ever met. I'm staring into space, thinking about my ex, Matt and how he knew me longer than Stefan and treated me worse. My phone rings, causing me to slowly jump up as he laughs. I look at the screen and read the name 'Bonnie'.

I smile before asking "Can I take this call?" As he nods and I walk out of the restaurant. "Hey, Bo-"

"So hows it going?" She practically squeals, interrupting me. "How's what going?" I ask's with confusion. "You know.. you and Stefan." I scoff and roll my eyes as I look up and see something.

I see him, making my way towards me. I see Matt Donovan, walking, towards me. I squint, not believe my eyes. I blink hard, opening my eyes again and realizing it's not him. I managed to let go of the breath I was holding and say "Bonnie, lemme call you bac-" I hang up and go back inside. Stefan's on his phone, drinking his coffee.

He's see's me sobbing, tears streaming down my face and gets up. Thank god no one else is there because we would be making quite the scene. He pulls me into his embrace as I sob. "What happened?" He asks. "I- I saw him, Stefan. I saw Matt."

"Who?" He asks, confused. "My ex. I saw him. Well, I thought I saw him." I explain, sniffling into his chest. "Okay? What's wrong?" He questions as I shake my head. "I just. I'm sorry, I just have bad history with him." I pull away, feeling embarrassed and crazy.

"It's okay, let's just leave." Stefan payed and came to the car with me.

As we were sitting in the car, I saw the a guy wearing the same guy as who I thought was Matt. I didn't see Matt. I saw some random guy.

Stefan sighs before asking "Is that the guy you saw?" I nod my head. "Yeah. I'm sorry, I feel like I'm going crazy." I breathe out, looking at my lap and feeling embarrassed. "Hey, it's okay. You probably just thought it was him. What happened between you two?" he asks."I don't really feel like talking about it."

He hugs me as I apologize. "I'm sorry for freaking out like that." He nods and starts driving. "Thank you for today. Even though I freaked out over nothing."

"It's fine, Elena. It's not your fault you thought you saw him." I nod, as I try to calm myself down and not be as embarrassed.