Chapter 3: Human

Começar do início

Connor waited calmly for the young detective to collect her thoughts.

"Yes! I am Amelia Rockland. Detective! Fowler said that I should help you out. Since I was off for a long time, he thought it might be helpful for me to play it easily at first and just... you know, tag along," she mumbled still with a lack of confidence in her voice.

So she was an experienced detective.

Oddly, she conveyed the impression, that this was her first day at work.

Though, the Detective just said she's been off from work for a long time. Maybe that was the reason. Perhaps, Hank was right and it could be interesting to find that out personally.

"I see. Sure. Since Lieutenant Anderson is still absent, you can help me with my investigations, Detective," Connor replied in a friendly tone reaching for the case file. If she wants to be his partner, then she would need the necessary information.

"Amelia is just fine," she gave him a small sincere smile. He felt that she had relaxed a bit already. Her shoulders were in a more casual position and her eyes now almost rested at his.

Even without analyzing it he knew her stress-level lowered. Maybe Connor was getting better at casual conversation.

"Okay, Amelia. I am Connor." He held out his hand.

At first, she hesitated but then she drew closer reaching for his hand. Amelia's hand was noticeably smaller than his hand, but, therefore, it was soft. After a quick handshake to confirm their business-partnership he gave her the case-file.

Connor suggested her to read over it while he gets the car.

Before grabbing his suit coat he gave her a short look. She wore a happy expression while reading the front page of the document. It was like her insecurity was gone. Just a moment ago she was stammering and nervous. Now she seemed to be all cheerful and pleased with her new task.

Possibly, she was more professional than he would have assumed. With that, he left for the exit.

With that newly gathered information about the complexity of the human character, even if it was collected within minor minutes, Connor saw the possibility to practice human interaction.

As long as they will work as a team he would be able to advance his skills concerning humans.

Although, he was already deviant for a long time he wasn't used to be 'human' around strangers.

He could not describe it with bare logic.

Some time ago he realized his own behavior. It was simple but irrational.

When he was with Hank, he was comfortable. It did not bother him how to place his words. He didn't care if his actions were appropriated. And it did not matter what he was.

When he was with Hank, he was Connor. Nothing more, nothing less.

But when it came to interactions with complete strangers, it was like someone flicked a switch. He was concerned about his attitude, his words. It suddenly mattered to be perfect. It was like he was afraid to fail their expectations. The thing was that this unintentionally tied him back down to his coding. Like he was regressing. Becoming a machine again.

Bonding with Amelia might help to get rid of this discomfort. He could try to analyze her behavior and convert it. At the same time, he had the chance to try to get to know her all by himself.

Connor left the DPD turning right to the parking lot, where Hank's car was waiting. Walking over to it he was spinning the keys in his hand.

Could he possibly try his coin tricks on keys?