Chapter 1: We have no good coffee

February 2nd, 2039
08:03Am

"Good morning, Miss." The lady who authorized you was a middle-aged human woman with a sweet mature smile on her lips. Her eyes were a bit tired and wrinkles framed her face.

"Good morning." You shortly replied a smile. Rifling through your bag, you searched for your ID-card. Brushing away some strands of hair, you handed her the card. While she registered your ID you poked around the reception.

In the early morning it was almost empty here. Nevertheless, there were 5 employee working at the reception, right now. On the left side, there was a regular android. A brunette, like you were used to it. To it's right a 'VB800', and next to it a male human secretary, quite young. Then there was the lady who registered you and another woman, slightly younger than the one attending to you. Funny, you were sure all of them were androids the last time you came here. Now it was a colorful mix of everyone.

How fast things can change if you let them.

"So alright, you can go in. Have a nice day," the lady said.

"Thank you!" you nodded back accepting your card and took the few steps to the entrance of your workplace.

It's been a while since you have come here.

The open ceiling made of glass was the same, but the energy in the room was different. Maybe a bit more relaxed. Or even tenser than before. The first thing you noticed, was that there were more desks than you remembered. Also, those police-androids which stood at the wall, like some gruesome mannequins, were gone. Additionally, they changed the general interior a bit. Entering the hall, you looked out for your old desk. You knew you sat across from Lt. Anderson's. Next to the window.

Standing in front of your former workplace, you realized that the nameplate was empty. Seems like your desk was in a different place than it has been once. A frown flashed over your face.

" Okay. That's alright," you mumbled to yourself.

You never talked much with the Lieutenant anyway. Turning on your heels, you continued your search exhaling a small sigh. You weren't exactly excited to examine all those remaining tables.

Now that the thought entered your head, you realized that you never talked to him at all. He scared you a bit. Always getting angry and cursing the computer. Not exactly the kind of the first impression that motivates you to become friends. But you knew, he was still a nice person. At least you thought so. The only interaction you actually had so far was the one time he bumped into you and spilled coffee over your shirt. He was genuinely sorry and tried to help you. So maybe he's just a bit rough around the edges and you judged too quickly.

After some searching, you found your desk next to Miller's, who just did some paperwork. And that with a sincere smile on his face. You though that he must be the only cop ever, who actually enjoyed doing it. He always seemed so confident in the process.

Officer Miller took a sip from his mug and looked up. His eyes wandered around the hall acknowledging all the different figures rushing from place to place, realizing a well-known face standing in front of him, placing her bag on a desk. You noticed that he noticed you, but you also noticed that he probably hasn't realized that he was staring at you with a really goofy face. You could clearly see the 'Loading-Icon' above his head. After a moment of disbelief, he called out for you.

"Detective Rockland! Dear! You're back!" Raising from his chair he gave you a hug. You received it gratefully, adding a small laugh. Chris hugs can brighten up your whole day. You have no idea how he was actually doing it, but it was true. Chris was like the first person you actually could connect with. Maybe it was the similar age. But mostly it was his kind nature. In contrast to Gavin, he was much more tranquil. In the best way possible. You could just talk to him without any complications.