Sorry

SUPERCORP-big time angst

Princess Kara of Krypton had lost far too much for a woman of her age. Her whole kingdom had collapsed into anarchy, her parents joining the masses of people murdered in the genocide. Kara, only twelve years old, was tasked with the protection of her baby cousin, Kal. They snuck out through the servants' tunnels escaping in just enough time for Kara to witness the collapse of the palace, her entire family inside. An explosion threw Kara and Kal backward, smashing them into the walls of National City, the capital of the Kent kingdom. Kara had been standing in front of Kal, and luckily for the infant, she softened his blow.

Kara fell into a coma, miraculously not aging a single say for twenty-four years. By the time she awoke, the Kents were dead, and Kal had become King Clark. He sent her to the neighboring Danvers kingdom, a place famous for acceptance and hospitality. Kara learned English, customs, and how to use her new powers, which she had developed as a result of the radiation from the explosion. On Kara's twenty-seventh birthday, her adoptive mother, Queen Eliza, and her sister, Princess Alex, stuffed Kara into her finest gown and ordered her to socialize. (Politely, of course.)

Kara hated dresses. She glanced into the mirror one last time, thankful she managed to talk Alex into leaving some of her hair down when they planned this yesterday, promising to leave in her curlers. ("Torture devices!" "Kara, you 'll look beautiful." "Still.") Her ballgown had a deep blue bodice, beaded with jewels at the waist that gave the illusion that she was wearing a belt. ("Why can't I wear a suit?" "Kara, please." "Then the dress with the belt thingy?" "Fine.") Her skirt was sky blue, matching her eyes.  Even Alex was jealous.

"Why do you refuse to have your maid lace up your corset?" Alex groaned from her place on Kara's bed. She'd been complaining for a half hour.

"Because it isn't proper," Kara replied for the fifteenth time.

"Mother's maids do it."

"I'm not Eliza. Now, are you done? Sit up. You'll ruin my hair!" Kara called.

"It's my hair, thank you very much." Alex sassed, but obliged.

"It's my handiwork."

"Yes, Princess Kara. Now, it's time for your appearance!" Alex squealed, practically dragging Kara out of the room by her hand, almost tripping on her skirt. Alex wore almost exclusively black dresses, much to her mother's dismay, so she had a few made with jeweled waists and necklines to please Eliza, since 'At least you look less like a widow.' Kara was amazed at how well Alex's sleeveless dresses stayed up since hers always needed adjusting after a few dances.

"I'll go first, and then they'll announce you. Smile, Kara. It's your birthday." Alex blew her sister a quick kiss. On a normal day, she'd kiss Kara's cheek, but black lipstick on her sister's face meant trouble from their mother.

Alex descended the stairs gratefully, smiling royally. Kara immediately regretted her choice of shoes as Alex stepped onto the marble floors, assisted by a man in a suit. He kissed her hand, and Alex curtsied, sending Kara a quick grimace as he led her away.

"Introducing Princess Kara Danvers." A voice rang through the air and Kara took slow steps down the stairs, smiling as well as she could and praying she didn't look as idiotic as she felt. One hand on the railing and the other holding her dress as she'd been taught, she reached the final step. A few hands reached for hers, so she grabbed the nearest one. When she was on the ground (finally), she looked up to thank the gentleman, but was met with the striking eyes of Lena Luthor. The bodice of her dress was stark black like her hair, the skirt a deep red. Kara couldn't help but let her gaze catch on her breasts for just a moment.

"Princess Luthor." Kara nodded curtly, swallowing the lump in her throat when Lena's deep red lips curved into a smug smirk.

"Princess Kara, lovely to see you." Lena's head tilted to the side ever so slightly, her smile widening.