Childhood Promises/Iceland

Start from the beginning

All the small things that you two kept to yourselves. Your little secrets.

It may have been just a pipe, but it meant so much more to the two small children.

"So you have to leave?" Emil asked with a sad face.
You nodded, once again wiping you eyes.
"Where are you going?"

"Big brother said we were going back to Denmark" you say, "he says we have to stay there till Im older"

"I don't want you to go" Emil says grabbing onto your coat, tears in his eyes, "I don't want to be alone"

"I don't want to go either" hugging him tightly.
The two of you cry for what feels like hours before you separate.

"Emil," you say looking at your lap, "will we still be best friends when I leave?"

"We're bestfriends forever," he says, "remember? Forever and always?"

You smile, "yea, we are!"

Emil digs tthrough his pocket and pulled out a purple crayon, "lets write it down!"

"On what?"

He looks around, humming, "how about the wall? Its in our special place!"
"Okay!"

The two of you take turns writing on the pipe wall with the crayon.
"Emil + (Yn)
Best frends forever"

You two smiled at your creation, proud that it was done.
"There," you say, "now we'll always be bestfriends"
"Yes, we will" he agrees holding your hand.

"Emil!"
"(Yn)!"
You hear your names be called, and the dread of leaving sets in.
You hold your hands tighter as you both begin to walk to your brothers.

Every step was torture, it seemed to go by too quick.
The older brothers look at the children as they solemnly made their way to met them on the sidewalk.

"C'mon, Lil' sis" your older brother said with a smile, reaching for your hand.
You nodded, giving your bestfriend a sad smile, "Bye, bye Emmy"
"Bye, bye (nickname)" he said.

You took your brother's hand, and the two of you began to walk away. Sadness set in, and you began to tear up again.

Behind you Emil watched with a heavy heart as you left. He crossed his fingers together, shift nervously. He wanted so bad to run after you, to stop his only friend from leaving.
But he didnt have the courage to.

When he saw your brothers car door open, a sudden burst of panic spiked his blood.

"(Yn)!" he called as his feet moved as fast as they could toward you.
His brother called his name, but he didn't mind it.
He wanted to get to you.

You turned around to see him running with teary eyes, and on instinct you ran to meet him halfway.
The embrace was tight and full of desperation.
As far as either of you knew it would be the last they shared.

When the embrace ended, the two of you just looked at eachother not knowing what to say.
Emil suddenly got and idea, and began digging through his pocket.
He pulled out a shiny red candy wrapper, with "Sambó" written in cursive gold letters.
"Licorice wrapper?" you asked confused as he hand you the small item.
He nodded with a blush speared across his pale face, "so you don't forget me.."

"I could never forget you, Emmy" you smile, tearing a button from your jacket and giving it to him, "so don't forget me, okay?"

"Bestfriends forever?" he asked holding the (favorite color) button tightly.
"Forever and always" you smile.
"Pinky promise?" holding out the pinky of his right hand.
"Of course" you nod interlocking you pinkies tightly.