The revolutionary act of being who we are

Hey reader,

This month marks the 50th anniversary of Stonewall, the rebellion often credited with sparking the LGBTQ+ movement as we know it. But what's a rebellion without the people powering it? We can talk in symbolics of bricks and police, of rainbows and parades, but it's the stuff inside us—the stuff that tells us what is right, that shows us who we are, that can't and won't be ignored—that is the lifeblood of revolution.

Because whether we realize it or not, this movement is not just about the peaceful performance of sexuality and gender; it's not just about legislation and the right to swap rings. It's about our inherent, human right to become—and to be—our most authentic selves, and the journey that shows us the futility of trying to cheat ourselves out of it. It's about showing up in a world that's threatened by anyone who understands the language of her own heart. It's about cultivating the bravery to honor the truth of our lives, not whatever convenient fiction the cowardly have imposed on us in order to justify their investment in someone else's narrative, someone else's dream.

Pride is a movement of love: the natural love we give to and receive from others and, crucially, the self-love we exhibit when we are no longer afraid to witness ourselves as we are. When we boldly accept the challenge to be exactly who we've always been—that is where love begins.

Take care,

Aserna012