t w e n t y - n i n e .

Start from the beginning

There were around three hundred sweaty teenagers crammed into the bleachers in the gym. Percy elected to staying hidden in the shadows near the exit.

A marching band stopped playing. A guy in a pinstripe suit came to the microphone and started talking, but the sound echoed around the gym so Percy had no idea what he was saying. He might've been gargling, for all the nineteen year old boy could have known. Percy's eyes flashed upwards when his shadows informed him that there was a situation beginning with Dally.

The redheaded girl had grabbed his shoulders, and Dally, though shocked, was holding up a conversation up with her. Percy sighed, hoping whatever was going on between him and that girl had nothing to do with the mythological world.

Knowing his luck, it would have everything to do with it.

     "Hi, guys!" a cheerleader bubbled into the microphone. "My name is Tammi, and this is like, Kelli." Kelli did a cartwheel.

The redheaded girl had yelped, causing Percy's eyebrows to raise in confusion. She was staring at the cheerleaders in horror, terrifying mortal horror.

Percy murmured, "she a demigod?"

His shadows whispered from every corner of the room, mortal mortal mortal

So, Percy wondered, another human that can see through the mist? Interesting... The redhead had begun to push her way to the edge of the bleachers, ignoring everyone around her. Dally, after a few moments of hesitation, had gotten up as well, following her out of the gym.

Percy sighed, pushing off the wall again and following after them.

His life felt so repetitive.

As he trudged through the hallway, not even bothering to hide his presence, Percy couldn't be more grateful that he had graduated. Sure he had just barely, but that wasn't his fault. He wasn't able to show up to half of high school because of the mythological world and his father, the other half he was either exhausted, lazy or fighting a monster at school.

In between all that, where the Hades would he find the effort or ability inside of him to actually learn things?

And its not like he had a choice, whether or not he wanted to continue his studies. As the crowned prince of the Underworld, his probably had one of the strongest demigod presences as he walked through the mortal world. Monsters would have never left him alone.

Even starting a family would be impossible for him without protection from the underworld.

The monsters would get to him eventually, and he could never risk his loved ones for that.

That basically left him with only one choice. To serve his father to his death.

Or, if things kept going they way they did, to become an immortal and take over as ruler of the underworld when his father faded away into nothing. Though that option was still millennia's away.

The read head and Dally were hiding out in the band room. Percy slipped into the room, quietly. The two fourteen year olds not even noticing him. He couldn't help but roll his eyes at their ineptness at literally everything.

Her eyes were bright red with fear as she whispered to Dally, "you...you wouldn't believe me."

     "Oh, yeah, I would," Dally promised. "I know you can see through the Mist."

     "The what?"

     "The Mist. It's...well, it's like this veil that hides the way things really are. Some mortals are born with the ability to see through it. Like you."