21. Sunshine to the Rain

Start from the beginning

"How are we supposed to get back home, Chaeng?"

"I already am home," Her arm tightened around my waist.

Her witty and cheesy comments will always be able to make my face heat up in embarrassment.

"Okay, not like that," I chuckled. "You know what I mean."

"I'll tell you tomorrow morning, let's just enjoy our last couple nights in 3012 New York."

Allowing my trust to fall into her words, I closed my eyes and held her closer to me, waiting for the chirping crickets and dark night to pull me deep into its comforting slumber.

~~~~~

"So you're telling me that all this time I just needed a dumbass book and pen to go back home?!" I let out an exasperated huff as I stared at the book laid out in front of me.

"I know right? I was—"

The rattling of the front door's doorknob brought the both of us to our feet out of shock in an instant. Muffled murmurs and whispers were heard from the opposite side of the door. Chaeyoung's eyes went as wide as saucers as soon as she realized that someone was out to either rob us of our belongings or even worse....ourselves.

Shuffling our way closer to the door with Chaeyoung wielding a kitchen knife, we both simultaneously decided to peek through the peephole, bonking our heads together in the process.

"The fuck, Chaeng?" I huffed, rubbing at the aching feeling on the side of my temple. "And where'd you get that damn knife from?" I whisper-yelled as soon as she recovered from the pain.

"Just look through the peephole before I open the door and stab the person myself."

Doing just as what she said, I closed an eye and stared out into the hallway with the other.

To think that we were getting robbed was an understatement, 'cause we were met with something far worse: two doofuses struggling to get a key into the keyhole.

Swinging the door wide open, Lisa and Jisoo came tumbling in with their belongings right behind them.

"Ooowww, why'd you push, Jisoo?"

"I was just trying to get the key outta your hand but you wouldn't budge," Jisoo wined.

The two of them were sprawled out onto the floor in defeat and pain from unintentionally dogpiling on top of one another.

Chaeyoung was just standing there bursting in a fit of giggles with the knife still attached to her hand.

"Chaeng, put that damn thing away, you're looking kinda creep right now," I said, helping Jisoo and Lisa off of the floor.

"Lisa! You were using the wrong key the whole time!" Jisoo screeched as soon as she got a hold of the key.

"What do you mean? I only own one key."

"Then tell me what this is?" Jisoo said, rolling her eyes.

Written in fine print was the word "KimJ" on the flat side of the key.

"Oh. My. God." Lisa covered her mouth with the palm of her hand.

"Why the hell would Jongin have a key if he could use that damn chip in his arm to unlock his doors?" I asked, yanking the key out of Lisa's hands.

"Most places have a physical key just in case their chips are malfunctioning, so it probably just means his was too and forgot the key here," Lisa shrugged.

"Ooorrr he purposely replaced your key with his to have an excuse to get Jennie to go back to his place, but that's just a hunch," Chaeyoung nonchalantly said as she munched on a bowl of cereal.

"Where are you getting all these items from!?" Our eyes came into contact with each other. "We ran out of cereal a couple of days ago."

"Uhhh...Idon'tknow," Chaeyoung slurred her words as she stuffed her cheeks with the cereal.

Jisoo and Lisa pulled out a chair as they made their way towards the girl, ready for a "thrilling" interrogation.

~~~~~

"Okay, so what did we miss?" Lisa mumbled as she downed her plate of French toast.

After a long argument over the key and Chaeyoung's cereal, we all decided to get some fresh air and head to a café nearby. Oddly enough, throughout everything that we've been through, this was only our first time at a café as four.

"Well, Chaeyoung and I—"

I was interrupted by our waiter. His arm intercepted our views of each other as he placed down a dish.

Allowing the man to pull away from the table, we all gave him a smile and nod.

"Anyways," I huffed. "Chaeyoung and I—"

"Thank you!" Jisoo squeaked out right before the waiter left our table.

Letting out a deep breath, I recollected my thoughts and continued on. "So, we were discus—"

And right on queue, another waiter came by to drop off Chaeyoung's food. "Here's your corn waffle with tomato herb salad, no avocados."

Grinding my teeth in irritation, I gave the waiter a fraud smile and waited a few more seconds before returning back to the continuously interrupted conversation.

"As you were saying?" Lisa stabbed her strawberries that came on the side with her fork before shoving it into her mouth.

"We were sitting in the living room checking out the book and—"

A flash of baby blue gleamed in my eyes, indicating that I received a text message from someone in my contacts. Removing my concentration from Lisa and instead shifting it to my eye contacts, I read the message displayed.

Jongin

I left my key at your place. Can you come by later tonight to drop it off?

Read 9:38 A.M.

Blinking my eyes to turn off the contact screen, I turned my attention back to the three girls sitting at my table.

"Guys, Jongin definitely has something planned..."

~~~~~

This book is gonna end soon in a few more chapters...