8 - Virgil's Past

I drew them as a fam...it's unrelated to the story aha but eh

TW: someone slaps someone else, kinda verbal attacks, isolation, burning

It was the Mind Palace.

The same one they were in now.

But from a long time ago.

The air was cool on that December morning. Thomas was 13, and the other three main sides sat with him, finishing his drama club homework of writing a script about the cost of fame. With the Mind Palace empty, no one could sense the presence of anxiety growing stronger and stronger-

-until it stopped.

And where it gathered, sat a 4 year old boy, his eye glowing a deep purple that showed confusion and fear. He lifted up one of his arms, looking at the dark grey jacket the covered a majority of it. A small squeak escaped him, as he noticed his hand was not really all there, most of it a faded version flickering in and out of reality.

Frightened, the small Virgil began to stand up, only to be stopped by the fact that half of his leg was missing, faded into nothingness. He looked down, examining himself, trying to find other incomplete parts of him. From what he could tell, he was missing part of his face, as his hand hauntingly went straight through the left side of it. He could also tell that there was a gaping hole in his chest, right where his heart would be.

Looking around, the small boy noticed he was in an unfamiliar setting; although really, everything felt different, as he had just gained a physical presence in the mindscape. Though, he didn't really understand anything that was happening, since his mind was so young and his body so new.

But still, Virgil again tried to stand up, with his other foot this time, but wobbled and fell down again, as he'd never learned to walk. Or have legs, for that matter.

Well, one leg, anyway.

When he finally managed to stay up, despite the shaking in his unused muscles, Virgil limped over to the giant, purple door in front of him, as it was the only visible thing inside the room he was in.

But before he could even reach it, the door slammed open with a powerful thud, scaring the poor side so bad he flew backwards with a terrified yelp.

A boy stood in the doorway, searching the room until his eyes landed on the young trait, shock overtaking his features. Virgil could feel a powerful aura from him, scaring him half-to-death, or maybe it was because half of his face was scaly and green like a snake. His eye was also yellow and slitted, and Virgil would have mistook it for a cat's if not for the snake-like features.

Logan and Roman both gasped, but it soon turned to anger.

"Deceit," Logan spat, his eyes squinting in caution and skepticism. "Why is he even in the Mind Palace?"

Roman had a similar reaction, summoning his sword and pointing it at the hologram.

"That fiend! He better stay away from Virgil! Lest my sword impale him!" He shouted staring straight at the younger Deceit. His eyes glowed a dangerous blood red, revealing his rage.

Deceit paused, examining the frightened child before him. His whole face showed hesitation, as if he himself was frightened by the child.

"What are you ssssuposssed to be?" He hissed, staring the young boy down. When he didn't get an answer, he spoke louder. "Are you deaf? What are you sssupossed to be?"

The youngest side's breathing hitched in his throat, scared by the older boy's raise in voice. But he thought it would be smart to answer, that way he could avoid getting yelled at.