I would know, I saw it through my mother. It was drilled into me for five years until the day she was kicked out of the house.

It was maybe the only memory I could remember from my mother, don't fall in love.

Don't have a relationship.

If a man promises something, anything, he's lying.

It was easier for me to believe, and want to follow through with them.

Before Logan.

The thought caught my breath in my throat, constricting my lungs from budging.

I was getting increasingly close to him, and I knew there was no way of avoiding me falling for him the more he came around.

There was no way it was mutual either. I was a merely fallen leaf in a meadow of wildflowers, I did not compare to his lifestyle.

I glanced down at my phone, like an alarm of shivers going off in me every time I heard that notification sound.

Logan: When can I see you again?

My breathing became rigged as I thought of his deep eyes. He invaded every aspect of my life now. I chewed on the inside of my cheeks as I thought back to my mother.

Bella: I'm not sure :P

A pit in my stomach was forming, feeling worse as I knew I needed to grow distant from him. It was too dangerous to get this close, what was I thinking?

Logan: I'll come to pick you up from work today and we can get dinner.

I bit my tongue at the thought of seeing him within the next two hours. He could snap his fingers and I'd listen like a small puppy.

Bella: Okay.

The hours dragged on and on ticking by ever so slowly. I was determined to make an arrangement for the both of us once and for all. I'd set Logan on his way and I'd be the lonely cat girl who stayed in my routines.

It would be easier, pulling off the bandaid than getting scorched by fire. I anxiously played with my thumbs as I thought harshly about the next few hours of my life.

I quickly locked up the building as Logan texted me a "five minutes away" text. My heart seemed to slump heavier in my chest, feeling caged in.

I examined the street carefully as I watched Logan's sleek black car trail down Weeden Street. It was like someone poured a bucket of ice on me.

Logan easily climbed out of his car with a big grin on his face. "Hey, beautiful."

"Hey."

Logan rushed over to me and slipped his warm hand in mine and gave me a squeeze. "Are you ready to go?"

I couldn't help but nod my head quickly. Logan's long legs took the necessary strides to make it back to his glossy BMW. Logan reached over to the handle of the car and held the door open for me. I was blessed with the heat enclosed in the car.

Logan made his way back into the driver's side and ignited the engine. "How has your day been?"

I shrugged my shoulders a bit and twirled my thumbs. "It was good. Yours?"

"Mine was good too." His cologne had me nearly melting into my seat. It was woodsy and clean. Intoxicating and indulging.

We sat in comfortable silence for a bit as Logan started driving. I held my breath as I thought more about my daydreaming from earlier.

"What are you thinking about up there?"

I chewed my lip carefully as I thought out my next words. "Do you believe in love?" I rushed out like I was spilling a secret.

The question had Logan paused for a minute, thinking of ways someone would even respond to that. "I think that's a pretty broad question." He paused before carrying on, "I don't believe we can love inanimate things like cars or money. Sure I can like pizza, and I can like fresh air. Yet none of these items will ever compare to a person or a pet. It's just not practical. Love is tricky and ruthless, but it exists whether we want to believe it or not."

My eyebrows felt heavy as I tied them together. "Have you been in love?" The question I spoke came out in a hushed whisper.

"No, not yet." Logan glanced over at me, "have you." I watched his eyebrow tweak up in question.

I hesitantly shook my head no, "I can't." I whispered.

____________

Let me know your thoughts in the comments, I love hearing feedback!!

Read ahead 5+ chapters on my patreon: www.patreon.com/iwasalone