Things change

While doing some work on a video that I was making, Steven clamped to my waist and I had to wonder why he was there. When Steven was clamped to my waist, I could hear him sobbing and it was disheartening to hear him cry.

Cleo: What's wrong, Steven?

Steven: Amanda . . . doesn't . . . like . . . me

Cleo: What do you mean?

I walk over to the bed and Steven sat on the ground by my desk. I ask him to come over to the bed to talk with me about the problem.

Cleo: Why doesn't Amanda like you?

Steven: S-She . . . left me . . . f-for . . . her f-friends

Cleo: Do you know why she would leave you?

Steven: The others at school were spreading rumours about Dad being a shape-shifter and how he was evil.

Cleo: What did you do?

Steven: I told them that he wasn't all of those things that they had claimed he was, and they only made it worse. It became harder and harder for me to defend Dad and . . .

Cleo: And what? You need to tell me, Steven.

I wasn't at all prepared for what he was about to tell me next, and it left me stunned.

Steven: . . . I let my emotions get the better of me and I changed into a monster. I know that Dad is always telling me to control my emotions, but I couldn't help it this time. Everyone was afraid of me when I changed and I'm scared that it will happen again.

'I am floored. I . . . am . . . floored'

~ ~ ~

June: Serves my brother right

Smoky: What happened?

June: Steven's school friends ran him out of school

Smoky: That's . . . shocking

June: Not really, I was kind of expecting this to happen anyway

Smoky: Pessimistic much?

June: I'm not pessimistic, I had the foresight to see this a mile away

Smoky: Sure

June: Whatevs

~ ~ ~

Cleo: You can take care of him for a couple of hours?

Leo: Sure thing, you two go and have a fun night out. The both of you need the break and I'm much too happy to take care of Steven for you.

Anubi: Thanks, Leo

When in the passenger seat of the car, I was thinking to the conversation I had with Steven earlier that day.

Anubi: You feeling okay?

Cleo: . . . Yeah

Anubi: Want to talk about what's on your mind?

Cleo: Perhaps after dinner

Anubi: If you say so

~ ~ ~

After dinner, we went to pick up Steven and Cleo hasn't spoken a word since we were in the car on the way to dinner. When inside the house, I took Steven to bed and Cleo took herself to our room. I tucked the sleeping Steven into bed and went I found Cleo sitting at the end of the bed.

Anubi: What happened today with Steven at school today? The two of you have been quiet recently and I'm starting to get worried.

Cleo: Some of the kids in his class have been saying some . . . less than tolerable things about you and . . . shapeshifted in front of his class.

Anubi: He what?!

Cleo: Quiet, if you're any louder you'll wake the neighbours.

Anubi: Look, I'm sorry. I'm just surprised at the news and what will we do with him now that his secret's out.

Cleo: I . . . I don't know, Anubi.

Anubi: I don't know, either

Cleo: I guess that we will head back to Egyxos

Anubi: What about your job and removing Steven from school?

Cleo: You're lucky I handed in my 2 week resignation early and I had signed Steven's school leave in yesterday

Anubi: When aren't you ever organised?

Cleo: Shut-up