Robb Stark X Lannister/Baratheon!Reader - If You're Not The One

A/N- I started writing this piece because I decided to go back and read one of my old chapters, and I realised that the conversation between Jaime and his daughter/niece wasn't strong enough. So here I am, writing a different, but very similar chapter, in order to correct that. I ended up being inspired by 'If You're Not The One' by Daniel Bedingfield. I hope you all enjoy it.

It had taken you weeks to finally reach your husband's camp; far longer than it should have done. You had spent most of the trip on back roads and walking paths, attempting to avoid any Lannister soldier who may have questioned your presence, or sent you off into your grandfather's care. 

You had been promised to Robb for as long as you could remember, from the first moment you had been introduced as babes until the day you stood before him at the altar, you had known that you would be his wife.  Your father had insisted. And even now, having learnt the truth of your parentage, he was the first person you had turned to upon leaving King's Landing.

The camp was larger than you had expected. It wasn't that you had doubted your husband's ability to raise an army, there was never a worry in your mind where the Northmen were concerned, but it had been difficult to picture such a large number of people in one place. The lines of tents stretched as far as the eye could see, and the men littering the space between them seemed endless. 

"Excuse me," you started as you approached one of the groups of men, smiling as sweetly as you could manage. You had recognised the Stark banner flying above them as soon as you had seen it. "Where would I be able to find Robb Stark?" One of the men snorted with laughter, his eyes roaming over your body for a moment.

"He isn't taking visitors," he started, getting to his feet as a smirk came to his face, "but I'd happily keep you warm until he is."

"As lovely as that offer sounds-" you told him, forcing your smile to stay etched onto your lips, "-I'm quite sure my husband will be more than happy to welcome me, whether he is taking visitors or not." 

The man's smirk fell from his lips as your words registered, his jaw going slack for a moment as you smiled at him. "Forgive me, M'lady, I didn't know," he began, causing you to laugh.

"There is nothing to forgive, I'll be sure to let my husband know of your kindness to strangers." You kept your eyes locked with his, raising an eyebrow as your smile faded, "now, if you'll be so kind as to take me to him."

"Of course, M'lady, right this way." 

*Time Skip*

You had burst into tears the moment you were back in Robb's arms, clutching to him like a child and sobbing against his chest. Perhaps, if you had been less caught up in your own crying you would have heard his own choked sobs, hidden within your hair. 

As much as it may not have been deemed manly to admit it out loud, he had missed you, and every moment you were gone he was wracked with worry. Worry that you would fall out of love with him, worry that your family would turn you against him, worry that you would never return.

You had been so caught up in the moment that you had almost blurted your secret to him. It had almost fallen straight off of your tongue, like a song you had been singing for a lifetime, but you had stopped yourself at the last moment,  holding it back. You hated lying to him, it felt wrong, like you were betraying him in the worst possible way.

You had stood tangled together like that for an age and could have remained there in silence for the rest of your life, but soon enough you had to speak. "Is it true that you have my uncle?"

Robb tensed in your grip, shifting away from you for a moment. "It is."

"Good," you started softly, "mother will not allow any harm to come to him, he's the best bargaining chip you could ever have where she is concerned." He nodded his understanding, pressing a kiss to your forehead. He knew this was hard for you. You were abandoning your family for his, leaving behind the life you had once known and tearing it down behind you as you went.  "May I speak with him?"

He hesitated for a moment, his mouth opening for a mere second before snapping shut again. "Is that a good idea?"

You shrugged slightly, "probably not, but I have some things that I need to say to him."

He nodded, "We can go over whenever you are ready."

"I'd like to do this alone." For a moment you could swear that Robb looked hurt at your words. "He will not harm me," you added softly, reaching up and cupping his cheek with one hand, "and I'll be back before you know it."

"Okay," he paused for a moment, allowing you to step fully out of his hold, "just keep your distance."

"I will."

*Time Skip*

Jaime had been chained in the dirt like a mistreated mutt, bound to a wooden post. You had never, in your entire life, seen him look so downtrodden. Coated in mud, beard growing out, clothes soaked through and crumpled. You almost felt sorry for him.

His eyes went wide when he saw you approaching him, shifting as much as he could to look at you more closely. "Y/N," he started, his voice thick and broken.

"Hello," you uttered, taking another tentative step in his direction, attempting to stay on your feet on the slick ground. 

"She told you." His words cut through the silence, and you nodded slightly. "Does your husband know?" You wanted to speak, to answer him properly, but the words just wouldn't come. You shook your head. "Of course not, you'd be in here with me if he did."

Your brow furrowed as your eyes drifted down to the floor. "He wouldn't do that to me."

"He loves you, that much even I cannot deny, but that won't get him far." He paused for a moment, as you lifted your tear-filled eyes to look at him. "Don't tell him."

"But," you started, but he quickly interrupted you.

"You will be in danger the moment he finds out the truth. He will not protect you if he wants to keep his family safe." He stopped speaking, watching as you wiped the tears out of your eyes. "He will not love you if he knows what you truly are."

"You don't know that," you started, causing him to let out a dark chuckle.

"What King could love a bastard born of incest?" You were both silent for a moment, staring at one another. "Take my advice: Keep this to yourself, give him a son, secure your position as his Queen."

You nodded, wiping the last of your tears from your eyes. "Goodbye," you started softly, "Uncle Jaime. And good luck."

Please consider supporting me for just £3 using Ko-Fi. The link is available on my profile page. If you have any questions about Ko-Fi please feel free to private message me. Thank you. L x