Chapter 6 - Messed up Evidences and a Suspect

The group on the other end of the line looked at each other. Their faces reflecting each other’s surprised face.

Yunlan turned serious.

“Alright, we’re taking the case.” Yunlan said to the people with him, including Lao Chu on the phone.

The order sent the rest of the team to their respective tables. They know the procedure when they take a case.

Yunlan took the phone from Wei Lan and gave Lao Chu his instructions. “Move as you see fit. Make sure that as much as possible, no one touches those bags.”  Then he added with great emphasis, “With or without gloves.”

“Got it.” Lao Chu answered, then the phone went dead.

Yunlan closed his eyes and took a deep breath. He did a rhythmic tap thrice on the secretary’s table before releasing his breath.
He opened his eyes and started his chase.

“So, what have we got?” Yunlan inquired from the whole office.

“Nothing correct.” Zhu Hong answered. “They sent us files about abductions, not killings.”

The whole office answered the same thing with clear anger and disappointment. There had been nothing to instigate killings on the reports. Leaving them to come up empty-handed with theories.

“I see, we’ll go collect the data ourselves then.” Yunlan answered, not in any way disheartened by the poor start of the case.

Yunlan noticed the tensed atmosphere that is starting to gather around his members. He gave them a hearty laugh, to lighten things a bit. “Don’t mind it too much for now. We’ll ponder things once we have things to ponder.”

The crew just ignored their leader and returned to their computers. But, they no longer gave off the air of being tense.

“Lin Jing, go get your things and come with me.” Yunlan called, searching for the nerd. He saw him entering his office, already out of earshot. “Da Qing, you too.”

“Who are you ordering kid?” Da Qing answered grumpily but stood up nonetheless.

Yunlan smiled, a bit cheekily. “Who else?” He gave a boyish chuckle when the older man rolled his eyes.

By this time, Lin Jing emerged from his office carrying a case. “I’m ready to go chief.”

A few minutes later, they arrived at the Xiushan station to find Gou trying to restrain Lao Chu from punching Chief Wang Ying.

Chief Wang Ying has no noteworthy characteristic. He was just what you would imagine someone who has held his position for a long time as a chief of a police station from a small, peaceful city.

He was short, just about Da Qing's height yet he was stout. Carrying a little more than extra fats on his body. He also has a very shiny head.

He does give off the air of authority so it was easy to guess that he was the chief.

“Lao Chu!” Yunlan called raising his voice in a very authoritative manner.

“What do you think are you doing? Keep acting like mongrel and everyone will think that SIU is the unlawful bunch they think we are!”
Yunlan said through gritted teeth as he forcefully grabbed Chu away from the head of the station.

Lao Chu shrugged Yunlan’s grip off. His attitude once again returning to the icy calm he usually has.

Lao Chu answered the question everyone was not asking out loud. “Sorry chief, they soiled the bags and were not owning up to it. They got on my nerves.”