Chapter 12- Trust is Built Slowly

Five days later Yunlan found himself entering Dragon University. The wrapping up and transfer of Chen Yongfeng's case to the prosecutor's office was done quickly. But the recent days proved to be more hectic for the already understaffed office of the SIU.

Before, they used to get five calls in a month while they spent the rest of their time on the field, collecting evidence and doing investigations. But after the new rules were established, they've been getting at least one call every other day about a presumed serial killer, serial burglar or whatever case local police thinks can be serial.

Zhu Hong almost unplugged the telephone cord and very nearly told the callers to go to hell. Even Zhao Yunlan was tempted to turn down every call unless the local office sends the case files prior to the call.

But of course, there were a few suspicious cases where Lao Chu and Gou Changcheng or Da Qing had to be sent to look into the situation but in the end, they turned out to be a case of domestic violence gone wrong or the local gangs sending a message.

This is why Zhao Yunlan arrived at the school five days later for that date he had asked from Shen Wei. Either it was his rotten luck or the doctor was avoiding him but, the messages he has been sending when he had time either receive no reply or if replied to very short ones.

It was a Saturday and very few students were at the campus. Zhao decisively headed to the human resource department, showing his badge to the lady behind the glass counter.

"I'd like to have Dr. Shen Wei's address."

The said lady scrutinized his badge meticulously. She appeared suspicious at first before her face showed hints of concern. "Is something wrong with Dr. Shen Wei?"

"No, it's just for some routine questioning about a case."

At this response, the lady looked relieved. She took out a thick folder and started scanning through the file.

"Would you like his home address or his apartment address?"

Zhao wondered why the two were different, unsure of which is better he replied with. "Which one does he often stay in?"

"Oh, that would be his apartment. He rarely goes home. Even if it's summer he stays within the city for the patients."

The lady wrote the address on a piece of paper and handed it to Yunlan. He was about to walk away and head for the apartment but the lady good-naturedly informed him that it would be better for him to check Shen Wei's office at the left-wing of the hospital because that's where he usually stays even during weekends.

Yunlan stopped, he looked at the lady and smiled.

"You know Dr. Shen Wei?"

The lady blushed and gave a smile of her own albeit shyly.

"Who doesn't? He's quite popular."

The blush told him everything he needed to know, Zhao Yunlan remembered that when he was observing (stalking) Shen Wei last month, those he had approached for a quick inquiry were students. He had no excuse for talking to the teachers since it was not an official case. Now here's one who willingly delivered intel to him, there's no wasting it.

"Popular with you, ladies?"

The lady giggled and looked at Zhao Yunlan, "You would be popular with ladies. Handsome, mustached, and with a badge. But Dr. Shen is popular with everyone."

Yunlan's smile grew wider but deep inside his mood had dropped.

"Everyone?"

"Oh yes," the lady said smiling brightly. "To us colleagues, he's a catch. To the popular kids, he's handsome and cool. To the troublemakers, he's gentle and kind. To the nerds, he's smart and intelligent. Most of all, all his patients have absolute trust in him."