Chapter 2 - Stupified

The next morning, Zhao Yunlan was looking like a grumpy bear. He had received a call at 12am informing him that his presence was needed for the conviction of Wang Fang.

When he arrived at the office, he was told that the meeting had been moved. Meaning, he just wasted another night of good sleep for nothing.

The only good thing that he heard today was that Gou Changcheng was able to recover quickly and is ready to be discharged, however this was outweighed by the fact that Lao Chu will be handicapped for 2 to 3 days due to his wounded fingers.

Now, Yunlan is waiting for Gou Changcheng inside the briefing room.

Yunlan heard glass door squeak.

"Finally!" without turning around, the chief started his rant.

"Did you exchange your brains for air! How can someone be born as stupid as you are! I briefed you personally, I specifically told you not to put anything near your nose or your mouth because we were dealing with a toxic bitch who uses poison!"

He had been so frustrated that all his pent up emotions, even those that should not be directed to the poor kid, came rushing out. Every sentence is said louder and angrier than the previous one.

"Do you understand?" this question was pretty much already a roar.

Silence followed this outburst which caused Yunlan's patience to finally snap. He was dead set on starting another rant--

"GOU CHANG--"

-- only to stop abruptly when he turned to face a completely different face.

Instead of the thin, pale and scared face of Gou Changcheng. His eyes met with a pale face yet with the expression of calmness and patient. As if, the owner is waiting for him to finally finish his rant. The man who stood before him was beautiful, even his disoriented brain can recognize that. Round eyes, long turned up lashes, a well defined nose and luscious lips.

The stranger looked at him, briefly glancing at the direction of the door where the frozen Gou Changcheng stood.

Zhao Yunlan felt stupefied, whether due to the messed up situation or the man's gorgeous appearance, his mouth remained agape as he struggled to form a coherent statement that doesn't start with 'Fuck' and ends with 'you Gou Changcheng'.

After gaping for a minute or two, Yunlan finally gathered enough of his wits to ask.

"You are?"

Realizing his rudeness, Zhao Yunlan straightened himself and tried a more decent approach.

"Sorry 'bout that, who are you again?" Not really very refined but it will do.

The stranger quietly observed the chief's antics, his face betrayed no emotions save that pleasant look in his eyes.

"I am Dr. Shen wei. I was assigned to be the consultant of your team." so saying, he held out his hand.

Reluctantly, Zhao Yunlan shook the said doctor's hand while trying to remember a Shen Wei. Sensing Yunlan's confusion, Shen provided a little more information.

"I believe the notice for my arrival arrived last week. "

Wracking his head, Yunlan briefly recalled Zhu Hong entering his office and placing something on top of the mess on his desk.

"Ah!!" the exclamation was obviously fake as well as the laugh that followed. Yunlan stepped forward once again and he enthusiastically shook the hands of Dr. Shen. Comically, signaling to Gou Changcheng as if he was introducing the doctor as an old friend.

At that moment, Gou Changcheng realized that his presence is no longer needed inside the briefing room and that he's lucky enough to survive the day.

He hurriedly excused himself and exited the briefing room. He was in such a haste the he ended up smacking his whole body, full force, into Lao Chu.

Inside the briefing room, an awkward silence ensued. Zhao Yunlan feels that he should say something but, nothing of importance came into his mind.

Totally forgetting that the Doctor can also see him, Zhao Yunlan allowed his eyes to travel downwards, from that structured face, broad chest, lean waist and lengthy legs. His facial muscles remain impassive but underneath, his jaw clenched as he swallowed.

The doctor also observed the Chief before him, his eyes focusing more on the face rather than the body. He noticed even the slightest twitch of the mustache, however observing closely seems unnecessary and the chief thoughts are pretty much like screams to the doctors face.

The chief of the SID's eyes were the expression of hunger and anticipation as he gradually lowered his gaze. Whenever the chief's Adams apple bobbed, it took all of Shen's self control not to grab the man and smash his lips against the chief's.

That brought Shen back to reality. Silently cursing himself, Shen shifted his weight from one foot to another.

The action brought Yunlan's thoughts out of the gutter. And he once again directed his gaze to the doctor's face.

"You should talk to Zhu Hong, she'll tell you what to do. " Yunlan told the doctor, still a little distracted but more coherently.

The doctor nodded expressed his thanks and was about to exit the room when Yunlan called out.

"Doc,"

"Yes" the doctor stopped and answered, even turning his head as a sign of respect and the signal his full attention.

The respectful gesture made Zhao Yunlan's lips curve into a very amused smile. Leaning his hips, slightly on the table, he directed his playful gaze towards the doctor,

"Just so you know, I won't take the excuse of you not being able to refuse me, as I am the chief, once I succeed in getting you out of those sexy slacks." then he flashed his toothy grin.

Shen was dumbfounded for a second, his mask of calm forgotten for a second before shook his head unbelievingly, not quite believing that such vulgar language can spill out from a high ranking police officer, and exited the office.

___________
Author's Note

Dear readers and future readers (as if),

I would like to say sorry for this shitty update (not to mention late).
Please bare with me for now.
It's my hell week (finals this week).
Sorry gid!!!!