Two Needy Animals

Adira made it through an ordeal caused by Casimir alive and intact—especially his poor brother who couldn't even get his defense up against him.

She had thought that it'd be a lot of work to placate the great demon lord but all she did was remain inside his strong and warm embrace and he calmed down by himself.

Heise, who settled for his mother's lap, tried to pry his arms away but this time, Casimir did not budge nor humor him at all. He silently kept still and buried his head on Adira's shoulders.

Adira, at that time, felt like she was taking care of two needy animals—a growing clingy black dragon and a large silver wolf nuzzling against her, each demanding her attention.

She sighed before she brought her hands up to pat Casimir's head softly. Pampering and coaxing him. She waited for him to tell her what happened to him but it seems he didn't have any thoughts of telling her anything and that was fine.

She was just worried.

But it was too silent and she didn't like the silence that was almost deafening so she racked her brains for something to say—anything will do.

"Oh! The final exams will be starting next week, huh? Not that you need to study but, mm, I'm kind of worried."

"What are you worried about?" You're among the top performers of your class. What's there to worry?

"Mm, I'm kinda aiming for the top and I'm worried about my Math. I really don't understand any of it."

So she can't reach the top because of that one subject? Let's do away with it then?

"Will you teach me?" Adira asked, twisting her upper body slightly as he gave her enough room to do so, and gave him an expecting look.

That works as well.

"Okay."

And so, Casimir's tutorial lessons every night started—much to his heart's delight—and also started monopolizing Adira's nights as well.

He made sure he would finish his work early or if that wasn't possible for some certain nights, he brought it back with him. So on some nights both of them were doing their best and the other nights were spent adoring her.

Finals finally came and Adira did her best for the usual subjects with great confidence until the day of judgement—where Casimir's tutorial and her efforts will show their results.

She was so nervous that she asked Casimir to accompany her to view the results.

Casimir, feeling the most confident for her, stroked her head and gave her words of encouragement.

"It'll be fine."

Really? Just that?

Adira looked sulky as she continued to move forward, each step feeling heavier than the last as her legs felt like lead and her hands turning as cold as ice.

Without warning, Casimir, who noticed her clenching her fists till white, grabbed her hand and held it under his large and warm ones.

"You'll top it."

Adira automatically nodded when she saw the clear and undisturbed pool in his eyes. She could clearly see the absolute confidence he had in her. So who was she to doubt herself when even her tutor wasn't?

She relaxed almost instantly and finally arrived at the board where the students gathered and she took a deep breath.

After the students parted for the both of them, Adira walked close and saw her name at the very top of the list in bold letters.

She desperately wanted to scream and jump with joy, celebrate her success with Casimir, but the gazes around them were making it hard. However, it didn't stop her from wrapping her arms around Casimir and exclaiming in a joyous voice,

"I made it, your highness! I did it! Thank you so much!"

"Yes." Casimir replied with a proud and warm smile.

Everyone, that stared as their eyes snapped towards them had one common thing in their mind,

This damn dog food!!

After finally escaping out the crowd that congratulated both of them—of course needless to say, Casimir topped his year—they walked back to Adira's dorm house.

On the way back, Casimir had a sudden question and softly asked, "Why?"

"Huh? Why what?"

"Top spot."

Oh. He must mean why I wanted to top the year, right?

She suddenly giggled when she remembered the answer to his question and responded,

"This is going to sound really childish but, as your fiancee, I wanted my name up there with yours. Because, wouldn't it be embarrassing if your fiancee wasn't an achiever such as yourself? I'd like to spare you from that kind of humiliation. And I also kind of wanted to show the people that the crown princess wasn't stupid or something like that."

She ranted but, oh dear, Casimir already stopped listening after 'yours'. He silently stared at her with a very surprised face. He really didn't expect that answer out of her.

Should I smile at this part? Should I hug her? Am I allowed to? Ah, I really want to kiss her. Why is she being so adorable?

Casimir was feeling very conflicted as he remained silent, contemplating his life's decision, and unfocused the rest of the way. Missing the opportunity to claim her lips.

...

A few weeks after, Adira, who was back at the Sylveris Castle and lounging around—as well as ocassionally sneaking out to train in a secluded area inside the castle grounds—received an invitation.

Prince Casimir Athanasius' Birthday Celebration.

As soon as she read the content, a throbbing pain attacked her temples and she clenched her teeth—soundlessly enduring the pain as memories of this event came back to her.

At this celebration, there was an evening ball. All the nobles were invited so, of course, Adira had to go and she took the opportunity to stand closer to her fiancee, Triton, not caring one bit of the prince that celebrated his name day.

Iris, who wore an off-shoulder white gown with pink gradients toward the edges and crocheted lace that snaked across her chest and shoulders, arrived and stole all of Triton's attention. She looked as pure and innocent as an untouched fresh pile of snow. Perfect and taintless.

Adira felt very mortified and hurt and she scorned Iris. She publicly chastened her as she staged an accident where she spilled half of the wine in her glass to Iris' white gown.

However, that only furthered the nobles' and Triton's hatred for her. They only saw a monster in luxurious garments and ornaments pretending to be a noble. They shunned her and called her names behind her back.

She was hailed as the most beautiful but they never loved her. No one truly loved her. All she had from them was fear.

And, this time, she wasn't gonna allow it to happen a second time.

She instructed Lyfa to prepare all the necessary arrangements for the ball that was to commence in three days' time. It was time she got her revenge for that little brat's scheme.

Adira smiled to herself and Heise rested his large head on her crossed legs begging her to pet him and she did.

If you look at Adira's picture right then, she looked like your typical evil queen villainess stroking her peculiar pet while planning her next evil move.

And wasn't that just perfect?

Notes:
Happy 11K reads and 637 votes to us!! 🎉
I'm so happy! Thank you to everyone! I love you guys a lot!! Thank you for always voting and leaving me comments to enjoy! Thank you so much!

I also discovered this story topped three of its tags!
Past life, Past memories and Villainess!
Wooohooo! Banzaaai! Thank you everyone! Let's keep it up!
Lovelove!