Fragrant and Sweet

"My lady... My lady..." Lyfa gently nudged the frozen Adira, who suddenly turned pale upon laying eyes on this boy.

She remembered that he was the son of the Duke Dalriada, the kingdom's Prime Minister, and was groomed to one day succeed him. If she remembered things right, this boy was the one her little mistress fancied, right? This wasn't their first meeting, was it?

So, why is she turning pale?

"Oh! Forgive us, Lord Dalriada, you travelled so far but unfortunately my parents are away as of the moment and won't be able to accommodate you."

She fluidly lied through her teeth, that if the servants did not see their Master and Mistress at their respective workplaces they would believe their little lady, while curtseying once again to express an apology.

Her entourage, as well as Lyfa, all stared at her confounded with her blatant lie. The castle was big, sure, but wouldn't it cause trouble if this boy finds out she lied? Wouldn't that drive a wedge between the families?

What is the little mistress doing? Is she reverting to her evil side?!

Please, so long as you follow after me, everything will be fine. Just keep your mouth shut.

Adira silently pleaded in her heart.

"Is that so? That is a pity, indeed. I was told that the Duke Sylveris would probably be home since we caught wind of your accident." He smiled dejectedly.

Ah, you cannot fool me like that again.

A thought suddenly came to him, after being prompted with the word accident, and his expression suddenly turned worried as he asked, "By the way, are you okay, Lady Adira? I heard it was quite the fall."

"Yes, please don't concern yourself. It was only a minor sprain and I'm perfectly healthy." She answered, distant and civil. A well-trained lady in their social circle where the strong preys on the weak and the gullible gets stabbed on the back.

"That is the most wonderful news." He breathed a sigh of relief before he regained his perfect smile, seeming delighted with the news.

"Well, since the Duke Sylveris isn't around, I shall withdraw for today. I would greatly appreciate it if the Lady Adira spends time thinking about this proposal and that I might hear good news the next time I come."

He immediately gestured for his butler to come forward and took the box from his hands before offering it to Adira.

"I don't know what would be an appropriate gift to present to a fiancee, but I heard the Lady loves her tea. This is a little something from me. Please, take it."

Adira turned to Lyfa, who was waiting for her instructions, and nodded softly. The latter took a step forward and took the box to present it to her little mistress. Adira checked the so-called gift and saw different varieties of tea— except her favorite chamomile. She let out a silent and hidden scoff before quickly wiping it off her face and smiled at Triton.

"Thank you very much for these, my Lord. I appreciate it. Please take care in your journey. Lyfa, please escort them out."

Triton, pleased with Adira's smile, bowed before following Lyfa out the manor.

While Adira, who was left at the lounge, turned to one of the lady servants part of her entourage. She gestured for her to come closer which made the poor servant tremble in fear.

"Ye-Yes, my Lady?" She answered. All she wanted then was to prostrate and beg for forgiveness for whatever than receive one of the little miss' violent fits.

As softly and gently as she could, Adira asked her, "Kairina, right? Can I call you Rina?"

Out of surprise from her little mistress remembering her name, the little servant jolted, "Ye-Yes! Of course, my Lady!"

"Take these and share them with the other servants." Adira adjured her as she passed the box of teas to the maid.

"But... My Lady, didn't the young Lord give these to you?" She inquired carefully. It is not appropriate to give away something you received from someone else. Even giving it away the moment he left!

Smiling, with a hint of mockery for the man who refused to know her both past and present, she answered, "You should know me better. I don't like these kinds. Chamomile suits me best."

The servant, still confused, decided to just shut up and took the box gratefully. All the tea were exquisite and hard to acquire, truly something that displayed their family's power and influence. But her mistress would rather choose the common chamomile than these.

"Do you like Lyfa's original blend that much, My Lady?" Curious why her mistress would rather choose the chamomile than these recherche teas, she dared to ask.

Adira suddenly giggled, akin to little bells tinkling in the servants ears, while looking like a little angel before nodding her head. "I love each of your original blends best."

An... An angel!!!! The little mistress is an angel!!!

All the servants stared at her slack-jawed and with glittering, adoring eyes as they felt lovestruck— now with a renewed image of their little miss in their hearts.

"Then we shall refine it more so the mistress can enjoy it more!" Rina beamed.

"We'll also make new blends that'll satisfy the lady's taste!" A different maid chimed in that sparked a new discussion among them as they threw suggestions after suggestions among themselves.

While feeling hyped from the prospect of making a novel blend, Rina turned to Adira to ask if she had a specific taste she preferred. The latter, who was watching them enjoying themselves, struck a thinking pose after being asked.

Truthfully, in her previous life, she stopped caring for tea when Triton said he loved coffee. So, despite not liking bitter things or the strong smell of coffee, she had to grin and bear it for the sake of impressing him and adjusting to his likes.

"I like something fragrant and sweet."

Their eyes twinkled at her very normal and lady-like request as ideas surged through each of their heads and resumed to discussing amongst themselves again while Adira relished watching their comical expressions.

She should've given them more of her attention and love. Then they wouldn't have suffered terribly under her. Her family wouldn't have suffered because of her.

"My Lady." Lyfa, who had just returned after escorting the Dalriada representatives out, called her attention while watching the noisy servants and her smiling little mistress.

She was having fun. Just like how a normal child should.

Watching as Adira turned her head towards her, after successfully seizing her attention away from the ruckus, she asked, "Why did you lie about the Master and Mistress not being home?"

"Hmm... Because, I don't plan to tie myself to him again."

Again?

"Is something wrong with Lord Dalriada? Didn't you fancy him?"

Adira finally stood up from her seat and exited the room, leaving the rowdy impromptu meeting of the servants, with Lyfa following her and answered in a soft voice that sounded like an incoherent mumble to Lyfa's ears,

"I'm done. This thing between us is evil. I hope not to face and deal with it this time around."