Chapter 24

Regina is now 7 & 1/2 months pregnant and it's mid October. Regina's sister Zelena just decided to tell me that there will be a baby shower tomorrow. Today is Friday and Regina and I had planned to take a baby moon. I guess that's when couples go away together before the baby is born. Of course I want to go. Any chance I have to be alone with my wife away from home and work we go. Zelena and I are in my office. "Z. What the hell?  Regina and I have already booked and paid for a mini vacation. We're leaving first thing in the morning for Boston. You have to change the party to another day".   "Emma that isn't possible. Most of the food is ready. The cake is done. Granny made it herself. Can't you change the date ?"   "Zelena. Come on. Regina has been planning this for weeks".   "Emma can't you try to call them and change the date a little. Maybe leave on Sunday or Monday?"  I sit back in my chair and think. "Ok Zelena. Let me call them, but if they can't change our reservation you have to change the party. I'm not going to disappoint my pregnant wife. I hope you understand that".  "Ya ya ya blondie. Just make the call".  I grunt as I look up the number. I call the Boston Harbor Hotel. Regina absolutely loves this place. It's so close to everything and it's a top of the line hotel. A lovely woman was able to help me after I explained everything to her. She said we could check in on Monday instead of Saturday. I asked her to tack on an extra day and charge it to a different card so I could tell my wife we got a free night as an apology for them over booking. She was great. I got her name because I wanted to make sure I gave her a good tip for helping me out on such a short notice. I think I remember her because Regina and I have stayed at this hotel many times that's probably why she was able to help me. She must have looked up the Swan-Mills name and saw we stay there often. "Ok Zelena. Everything is set. Now all I have to do is tell my wife that we can't leave tomorrow. That should be so much fun. Thanks for that".   "Stop being so dramatic. She'll be fine". She laughs as she walks out of my office. Damn her.
I get home and find my beautiful very pregnant wife sitting on the couch watching tv. She's watching Maury, which we love watching because it kinda funny. This show has to be somewhat scripted. I walk over and sit next to her. "Welcome home my love. Did you have a good day at work?"  I kiss her. "Yeah babe. It was ok. I got a call today and your probably not going to like it".  "Oh Emma. Please don't tell me you have to work. Sweetheart we are scheduled to leave to go to Boston".  "Babe the hotel called me. I guess there is some big function that was booked and now they don't have a room for us. They over booked babe. I'm sorry, but they gave us an extra night as an apology. We can check in on Monday instead of Saturday. I'm so sorry babe. Really". She gives me a kiss. "It's ok my love. Maybe being there during the week would be better. All the museums wont be as busy".  "Are you sure your ok with this?  I know how much you've been wanting to get away".  "Yes dear. I'm fine. It's only 2 days. It's not like it's all been canceled".  "Ok good". I give her a kiss and we watch the rest of the Maury show together.
The next morning Regina and I made breakfast together and then just hung out on the couch to watch a movie.  Around 11:30 Regina's cell phone started to ring. She picks it up. "It's Zelena. I wonder what she wants.  "Hey Z.... Not much. Emma and I are just watching a movie.  Now?  Oh Zelena. I really don't want to go anywhere. It's so difficult getting dressed...... I know it's just Granny's but I....  Ok fine. Give me about an hour. Yes I know I'm the best. Bye". She ends the call and tosses her phone on the table. "What's up with Zelena?"   "She wants to meet at Granny's for lunch. She needs to talk about some new jerk she's dating".  "Sounds like a lot of fun". We both laugh.  I help her stand up and we both walk upstairs. "What am I going to wear Emma?  I wish I could just wear these pajamas".  "What about those nice blue maternity jeans you like. You said they are comfortable?"  "Yeah I guess so.  I don't even feel like driving down there".   "I'll drive you babe. I'll come in and get some food to go and you and your sister can have a nice afternoon together".  "You don't mind driving me down there?"   "No. Of course not". We both get dressed and leave together. I was going to suggest I drive her over anyway that way when I go in she won't suspect anything. 
I open Granny's door to let my wife go in first. I follow right behind her. "SURPRISE !!!"   Everyone yells. Regina is beyond surprised. She looks at me and I shrug. "You knew didn't you?"  "Zelena told me last night. I'm sorry babe". She tries to hide her face in my chest but I turn her around. "It's ok babe, this is for our baby". Zelena and Granny come over to hug us then Granny turns the sign to closed and locked the door. All the food is brought out and there is a lot. Everything is mine and Regina's favorite, plus a bunch of the food Regina has been craving since she's been pregnant. We eat and talk to everyone. After about 2 hours, a few tables are moved and all the presents are brought out and put on the tables and a nice comfy chair with balloons on it is brought out for the guest of honor. I walk her to her chair, I kiss her and she sits. I start to walk away and Zelena stops me. "Where you goin' blondie?"  Ruby puts out a less comfortable chair for me and Zelena pushes me into it. We open up gift after gift. It was actually kinda emotional to see how kind all of our friends are. We don't know the gender of our baby so our friends got us everything in neutral colors.  We got all kinds of age appropriate toys, some neutral clothes, baby wipes, diapers. Everything was amazing. We even got a few items for Regina when we are in the delivery room. We got some lollipops, granola bars and lots of jello. Regina was over come with emotion as was I.  I help Regina stand up from her chair and the attention is on us. Regina speaks first. "I really don't know what to say". She looks at me and burrows into my shoulder. So I take over speaking. "I think what my wife is trying to say is that we so very much appreciate everyone here. It really means so much that all of you care so much about us and our unborn child. Regina and I never really had anyone to really be there for us growing up, but now that we are older".  I have to stop speaking and I cry a little and hold my wife. I clear my throat and start again. "Regina and I are beyond blessed. All of you are the best friends and family anyone could ever ask for".  I look at my wife and it seems like the pregnancy hormones have gotten to her. She holds me so tight.  "Thank you everyone. I can't imagine our lives without you all. Thank you so much".   Regina can't speak. She's really so emotional. I walk her out to the car and tell her I'd be right back. I walk back into Granny's and speak to Zelena. "I need to take Regina home, she's really emotional from all this. Can you take care of everything?"    "Yeah Emma. No worries. Ruby, Belle and I will take care of everything".  I hug her tight. "Thank you so much Zelena. I know this meant the world to Regina. Thank you".  I see Zelena's eyes water a bit. "Take my sister home Swan. And. Yes I love you too. Now go away". I laugh and hug her again. I kiss her on the cheek and run out to my wife in the car and drive us home.