"She doesn't look funny to me," Bianca pursed her lips, before remembering Luke's warning, "I mean, nice to meet you." 

Is it that hard to be friendly? Her instinct was b*tch mode. 

"And I am Roland Chadwick the Third," Chad extended his hand formally, "But you can call me Chad."

"Nice to meet you. I'm Millie, probably Millie the one millionth. It's a super common name."

Why did I say that? 

"Enough with the boring intros," Bianca said, lifting her shirt off, "Is anyone else going into the pool?"

She was wearing a yellow bikini underneath.

Oma was taking a selfie under a striped parasol, "Do you want a boomerang on the swan?"

"That was so 2017," Bianca complained, "It's all about the pink flamingos now-"

"That was last summer," Chad said, "But go retro. I've got a donut ring and pineapple floatie."

"Pineapple is so my aesthetic," she referred to her yellow bikini, "Are you going into the pool Millie or are you just going to watch me?"

"I'm not going to watch you," I answered, sitting down on a lounge chair beside Austin, "But thank you for the offer."

No way was I going to take the bait on that. Bianca had a perfect body and I... well, let's just say I enjoy one too many actual donuts myself. Donuts aren't my aesthetic, they're my reality.

Bianca glared at me and picked up her phone. She texted something and Oma's phone buzzed. They giggled and whispered to each other. I only caught parts of it:

"Why haven't we... her yet... Surfside Shack... Luke."

It sounded like she was talking about me and not in the good way. Luke came to sit next to me, signalling the girls to cool it.

The boys were already engaged in loud conversation and Austin was spilling lemonade over everyone as he generously refilled our glasses. Over-generously. 

He filled it to the top until it flowed all over the table.

Chad raised his glass and alcohol dripped down his hand, "Get it down the hatch, boys."

They downed it in one. I stared at two other pitchers on the table. Already empty.

Was this what a casual weekday looked like for them? Poolside drinking and tanning. Uploading pictures on Instagram that get close to 2k views. 

If so, it's a different world to mine. I focused back on their conversation and realized that it had deteriorated fast...

"-coming from him. He's got whiskers for a moustache."

"At least I don't have pubic hair on my face."

"You should transfer some of it to your head. You're seventeen and starting to bald."

The conversation had spiraled out of control very quickly. I guess that's reality. The popular boys are not always the broody, mysterious boys they're made out to be. They're goofy and immature.

And I didn't mind. Who am I kidding? I'm into it.

"Stay hydrated Millie," Austin pushed another glass of the spiked lemonade towards me.

**

I was feeling a little tipsy as I settled myself in Luke's car. I connected his phone and shuffled songs on his playlist to one I like. Luke was standing outside, saying goodbye to Chad, when he reached in and put his hand on the stereo.