Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen 

Tabitha

After my father had taken a little time to calm himself, Javier escorted him over to the house. Devon and Ramone hovered for a few minutes, but after I served up a pot of tea and some biscuits, they left me alone with my father.

He sat opposite me, looking both happy and sad at the same time – I hadn't known such an emotional range was a thing until I saw the look in my father's eyes. He was happy that he was meeting me but he was sad that I reminded him so much of the woman who'd broken his heart. And, I understood that it couldn't be easy. I hadn't been with my mates long but if they rejected me now, I'd be devastated.

We chatted aimlessly for a while, he spoke to me about his Pack and I spoke about my work and about Devon and Ramone. "Do you really want to know about my mother?" I countered, when he asked me about my childhood.

"I have lived most of my life wondering where she is, what she is doing. I have spent thousands of dollars on plane tickets to London but never got on a single flight. I was terrified I'd find out she didn't miss me at all" he admitted, dark eyes looking slightly haunted. I swallowed deeply and looked away. "It's okay. I'd like to know. You're my daughter and I don't want you to think that you have to avoid talking about your own mother around me".

"She's...she's a hard person to love sometimes" I admitted, feeling guilty for even saying the words out loud. "I do love her, of course I do, but she makes it damn hard sometimes".

My father gave a humourless laugh, "yeah, that is a very good explanation for your mother".

"I can't believe she knew what I was this entire time" I hissed out angrily. "She never told me, never even hinted that I was anything other than human. And then when I did Shift..." I trailed off, tears stinging my eyes.

My father stood up and moved next to me. He cautiously took my hand as I blinked away the unshed tears. "Tell me what happened, Tabitha".

"She called me a freak and she kicked me out".

His grip tightened on mine for a moment as rage flitted through his eyes. "You are not a freak. She called me a freak too".

"It hurts huh?"

"Yeah, it really hurts" he nodded sombrely. "What did she tell you about me?"

"Nothing. She refused to tell me anything and made sure that none of the family said anything about you either. Even after I Shifted, she refused to speak about you. We had so many arguments about it. But, she just kept saying that I needed to pretend I was human and just forget all about being a Werewolf".

My father was quiet for a long moment, before he squeezed my hands. "Being a Werewolf is a gift, not a curse. She'll never understand what it is to be a Wolf or to be part of a Pack. But, you should never hide who you are or what you are, Tabitha".

"I know. I'm beginning to realise that". I squeezed his hands back before dropping them. "I feel like I've been talking your ear off. I don't know a thing about you. Are you married?"

"No. I could never marry again, it felt wrong" he replied and my heart broke a little bit for him. "I have a son though, Joey. He's...he's difficult". He sighed, looking trouble as he looked away for a moment before continuing. "Joey was brought up being told that he was going to be Alpha, just like all Alpha heirs. But, because he didn't live with me as a kid he never truly saw how much work I do to run the Pack. He just thinks he's going to sit in an office and boss people around someday. He's..."

"He's entitled" I supplied, and Trevor nodded. "I have a half brother on Mum's side too. Josh is a little shit, so I'm used to having annoying little brothers".

"It's a shame that you're not coming back to Elliptic Dark Pack with me" he commented.

"My mates are here. I've never had much of a home but this is it".

"I see that. And, I'm happy for you. But you will have to come and visit my Pack at some point".

"I'd love to".

"And when you visit me, I might have to get you to do something for me".

"Sure".

"I'll need you to pretend to take an interest in running my Pack". He smirked as I gave him a confused look. "Maybe if Joey realises he's not the only option I have, it'll be a kick up the ass he needs to sort himself out. I need you to give the little shit a scare".

I laughed softly, "I'm sure I can help with that".

I spent the afternoon with my father – we didn't have an instant love and immediate connection, but we got on and I felt it was a good foundation to begin with. When evening came, my father left for a hotel. Devon and Ramone came home and we quickly all settled on the couch together.

"How you feeling, Tabby Cat?" Devon asked me, massaging my shoulders as I slumped down on the couch.

"I don't know. Overwhelmed. Confused". I leant back against him and sighed. "Plus my stomach fucking kills". Ramone reached over and brushed over my side, where Kim had stabbed me. It had healed nicely, but the pink puckered scar was still present – and it ached like crazy.

"Why don't I run you a bath? A soak might do you good" Ramone suggested.

I smiled lovingly at him, "that would be amazing". He leant down and pecked my lips before heading up the stairs. I watched his retreating back with a heavy heart. I turned to Devon, who pressed a kiss against my forehead. "How has Ramone been today?" I asked quietly.

Devon sighed, "quiet. He feels so guilty over Kim and he's still struggling to decide on a punishment for her".

"How do you want to punish her?"

"I don't know, I left it up to Devon to decide. Alpha Zev suggested execution".

I gulped, "death? Really? Wolves really kill each other?"

"Generally, no. However, Kim went out her way to attack you unprovoked. That is considered the worst kind of crime – unprovoked. We're Wolves, not savages".

I went quiet, thinking over everything, before turning to Devon. "God, I can't wait for this week to be over. I'm so tired".

Devon threw his arm over my shoulder and pulled me into his side. "After your father goes home, we will do nothing but chill this weekend. You, me, Ramone and a bed".

"A bed, huh?" I smirked, seeing the cheeky look in his eyes.

"Well what would be the point of spending the weekend with our mate if we're not in bed?" He ran a light finger down my cheek and my throat; no doubt feeling the way my pulse was increasing with him being so close. "I love you" he said, before leaning forward and kissing me deeply.

I smiled against his lips as I melted into his hold. After the intense few days I had had, his kiss was just what I needed. I hummed out a note as we pulled away and he laughed at me. "Thank you".

"For what?"

I cupped his cheek, "for being exactly what I needed".

"Tabitha" Ramone called from upstairs, "your bath is ready". I gave Devon one last quick kiss, before heading up the stairs. I stripped my clothes off in my bedroom, before heading into the bathroom where Ramone was sprinkling rose petals into the bathtub. He turned around and smiled softly at me. "I hope this makes you feel better".

I didn't reply, just wrapped my arms around his neck and kissed him deeply. His hands settled on my bare hips and held me closer to him. Our kiss went on for a few minutes, before I broke away and smiled softly at him. "I need my mate back. I need my confident, cheeky, strong Ramone back. Fuck Kim and fuck everything else. I just need you back, I hate seeing you like this".

"I love you" he whispered to me, before kissing me gently. "I'll get dinner started, having a long soak and I'll shout you when dinner is ready". He gave my waist a squeeze, before heading towards the door.

"Hey, Ramone?" I called, he turned back to me. "We're going to be fine, you know. The three of us, we're going to be alright".

"I know" he nodded, before heading back downstairs.