Chapter Forty-One: Blackheart

My eyes opened, my mind gone blank. Where am I? I thought quietly as I looked around. How did I get here?

I felt as though claws had scored themselves across my entire body, leaving me frail, and giving me a limp as I tried to stand. 

My throat was soar as well as by upper chest. But for some reason in the back of my mind I knew that this was a good thing, no idea why or how; just that it was good.

Looking around fully for the first time I felt as though I should remember where I was. As if I had been here before.  

The earth was covered in thick leaf mold and the sky was pure black, leaving the thick dead undergrowth to only be lit by a dull light that seamed to be coming from the moss the grew at the base of the trees. 

After a few moments of trying to remember this place a feeling of dread crept into the back of my mind.

"Hello?" I called, my voice rough as if from lack of use as it echoed through the dead forest. 

I stopped and quietly waited for a reply, hoping someone would come and tell me where I was or what was going on.

My heart raced as muffled paw steps began to sound as a cat approached.  

I sniffed the musty air and could smell their scent. It was filled with that of fresh undergrowth, that of a forest and again I felt as though I should be able to put a name to it.

"Hello." a black striped white Tom said as he padded out of the shadows, his darkened forest green eyes watching me curiously as he sat.

"Where am I?" I asked, giving a slight cough. "And what happened? I added as I looked at myself in a pool of muddy water; there was no blood and yet I felt as though my insides had been torn out and replaced one more.

"This is the dark forest." he said giving a slight smirk, though I hadn't a clue why "And you were attacked and brought here."

I watched his eyes as they continued to look me over. Then I sighed, frustrated as I felt so hopeless, left to this strangers words "Why can't I remember what happened?"

"Took a pretty nasty nock to the head." he said quickly then added "So you don't remember anything?"

"No." I said as confusion set over me. "How long have I been here?"

"Several days." a new voice said as another Tom slid out of the undergrowth behind the black striped tom. "It's amazing that you haven't faded yet actually."

"Why?" I asked "Why would I fade?"

The first tom spoke up again "This place is for dead cats-"

"I'm dead?!" I screeched in shock, cutting him off.

"No No." The second Tom said, his yellow green eyes full of laughter "That's why we are surprised that you are still here. Though there are plenty of cats that would kill you for a rat tail."

I gasped in shock, I was wanted dead? By who and for what?  

Then another question rose in my head.

"Who am I?" I asked, breaking off as another cough escaped.

I watched as the second toms smile grew, he looked as if about to laugh.

The first Tom glades sideways uncertainly at the second, as if unsure of how to answer.  

He padded forward, his eyes still uncertain but a smirk lingered on his mussel.  

"Your name is Blackheart."

His expression stirred a slight amount of unknown fear deep within me, I tried to remember what had happened.  

I saw his face in my mind, it was kind, his eyes full of love and four small kits tumbled over him in play.  

Suddenly his expression changed, words were whispered in his voice and yet I could not understand them. The memory of pain shot through me as I fought to remember more.

"Who are you?" I asked.

Silence followed my voice as I felt him trying to search for words.

Then his voice replied with emotion love and hatred combined "My name is Tigerfang. I am your mate."