Chapter Forty-Eight: Riversong

I sat at the mouth of the cave, mist from the waterfall weighing down my pelt as I watched the moons light begin reflect off of the pool'ed water at the end of the falls.

A battle was due any moment now, and the tribe was prepared, hiding in the dark crevices of the cave behind me, waiting to be able to corner those who threatened us. Since it was two from my own tribe in lead I chose to stand waiting, to tell the others of their arrival when they approached us.

I could here the muffled and distant sound of paw-steps just over that of the waterfall, which I had grown used to over the past few moons of being here. Turning i padded towards where the cave guards slept, hurriedly waking them up.

"Quick!" I hissed, "They are here."

It didn't take long for them all to wake up, as well as the clan cats and previous rouges, even a few of the prey hunters had woken up, their eyes glazed over with sleep and fear. The paw-steps had grown closer now though they had become fainter, as though the rouges had hidden just beyond the waterfall.

Prey Hunters had already begun to move to their positions inside the nursery, while they were not the best fighters they would be best poised there, in case a rouge made it past one of the warriors and cave guards.

Stoneteller was padding out of her den, her paws moist from the inner caves pools of water as she approached me. "Do you think you're ready for this?" She asked, her voice calm though tinted with fear.

"I haven't much choice have I?" I asked in response, feeling my eyes grow dull with the knowledge of what was about to happen, "This will happen whether I'm ready or not." 

A yowl came from outside the cave causing both of us to jump to our paws, "You'd better get back to your den." I said, nudging her slightly, "You cant heal your tribe-mates if you die.."

"You better come too," Stoneteller stated plainly, though it was clear she knew what my answer would be.

"I might not be trained to fight, but this is my battle to face. I have to at least try to speak to Blackheart, if I don't do that then I'm no better then what Tigerfang has painted me as."

Thankfully, Stoneteller merely dipped her head in respect, her eyes glistening with knowledge and sadness as she turned her head to return to her den.

The moment her tail had disappeared into the darkness of her den another yowl sounded, followed by the sound of claws scraping on stone as rouges exploded into the cave. 

Teeth and claws flashed in the moonlight that dimly filtered into the cave, I skimmed the battle for my sisters dark pelt, only to screech in pain as I felt claws dig into my back and a recognizable scent reach my nose.

"Tigerfang!" I hissed through my teeth as I struggled beneath his weight.

I felt his claws grasp for a better grip, "Nice guess" He purred menacingly into my ear,  "I figured you'd have forgotten your clan-mates after being gone for so long."