Chapter Forty-Four: Blackheart

Claws fought to grip stone as I made my way up the mountains path, Tigerfang at my side, watching me carefully as he reached over to help me up each time I fell.  

Amberstar and a she-cat named Nettleblossom also walked with us.

I never let my eyes leave the path ahead of me, other than to make the occasional glance at each cat who followed.  

The only cat of any whom had joined us who trusted in the slightest was Tigerfang, for he had promised me the revenge I had felt I needed against my so-called sister Riversong. 

The two she-cats who had joined us seemed to only be there to keep an eye on me.  

Also, the clan leader Amberstar had made it obvious that she distrusted Tigerfang the moment he had entered our camp. Shock had even shown blatantly on her face as I had rushed to him and greeted him eagerly.

So far, the journey had been terrible; the only forest nearby having been filled with foxes, and the two-leg place after no better as we had been forced to go hungry for days. 

But now finally we had reached the last part of our journey, the climb of the mountain. And even on uneven paws, I knew I could last to the finish.

"Should we rest?" Nettleblossom asked as she approached my side after I had stumbled once more.  

I opened my mouth to answer, but was interrupted as Tigerfang replied calmly. "Perhaps now would be a good time to. Amberstar?" He said, asking the leader.

"Yes." The leader replied, her voice barely audible as she fought for breath. "There's an indent in the rock over there, perhaps we can use it as shelter."

I fought back a harsh reply as I could feel that we were so close to the end of our journey, instead I dipped my head and followed them into the indent. Pausing to raise my head has the stale scent of cat reached my nose.  

Others had been here within the last sunrise, their scent carried blood yet there was none visible on the cave floor. These cats had fought, and won a battle.