Chapter Sixteen: Riversong

"Whitespot, you have served us well as a temporary medicine-cat. But now that Riversong has returned from her journey. We thank you for loyalty, and would like to welcome you back as a warrior." Amberstar said while standing on high-rock.

"Whitespot! Whitespot!" cheered nearly everyone in the thunderclap camp.

The only one not cheering was me, as I sat watching from the medicine-den. Ever since I had returned to camp none of my clan mates had treated me as though I had betrayed them when all I did was follow the will of Starclan.  

I could feel the cold stare of Leafstorm burning into my pelt as he sat near me. But as I whipped my head to glare back at him he looked away, turning his eyes towards Amberstar as she brought the meeting to a close.  

While I had been gone several things had happened to the clan, apparently Windclan had been attacking our border patrols, and Leopardpaw had earned his warrior name as Leopardfang. Not only that but in Tigerfang's absence, Amberstar had named Leafstorm as Deputy. 

The biggest event that had baffled me was the new cat who Amberstar had let into our clan, she had been a rogue, but through her wanderings she had bumped into a patrol and been taken prisoner, as she stayed she grew to enjoy clan life and thus she earned her warrior name Nettleblossom. The clan now seemed to trust her even more then they trusted me.

"Riversong." Amberstar mewed as she walked over to face me, "I need to speak with you in private. Do you mind?"

"No I don't mind. We can talk in my den." I replied as I turned and stalked into the medicine den and sat towards the back. 

Shorty after I sat down Amberstar walked in and sat in front of me and began to speak. "Echostreams kits are ready to be apprenticed, Darkkit favors medicine cat duties over those of a warrior and he has asked to become your apprentice. Are you ready to take on this task?" she asked as she finished

"I'm ready Amberstar, but what I want to know is if the clan would welcome me to having such a duty. Leafstorm especially seems to have his eyes watching me when ever I'm in sight." I murmured, I had been ready for an apprentice since the moment Moonglow, our previous medicine-cat had died, but if the clan didn't see me as a trustworthy member, then it would be better to not even try to raise one of their own.

"It may take time for them to see you in your place Riversong, but I know you did what you thought was right, and I would not have stopped you either way. What is done is done and soon they will see that you are still as you once were." the red-orange she-cat purred.

"But I'm not the same, I've lost my sister, my mother, and my father, I feel hollow as a dead tree. Perhaps Whitespot should take over for me, after all, the clan trusts her." I snapped

"Riversong," Amberstar said as she looked me square in the eyes. "As your leader I will tell you one thing, your duty is to be Thunderclan's medicine-cat and to prove that you are loyal to us you must first prove your loyalty to Starclan.

Meeting her gaze I straitened up and replied "My loyalty to Starclan has never faltered, but Amberstar answer me this, how can I be loyal to a clan who would not show the same respect to me?"

Amberstar seemed baffled at my accusation and for a moment she stood before me speechless, "As a clan-cats we earn our respect by doing our duties, we are not rogues, loners nor kitty-pets! I will not let you wallow in self-pity, you will take Darkkit as your apprentice and you will teach him all you know for it is what he wants not what you wish!" She hissed before turning and exiting my den. 

Perhaps she was right and this apprenticeship would help me earn my clan-mates respect. But either way apprentice or not, Starclans will bonds me to Thunderclan, even if my heart does not.