Chapter 10

After two days of rest, SG and the rest of the team were ready to leave. SG already said goodbye to everyone close to him, but his close friend Irene was nowhere to be found. The others were already at the door of the shelter. When he started to move had a big smile but suddenly when he started walking a hand caught his arm.

-SG!

-Irene! Where were you? I was searching everywhere. I was ready to leave you know!

-Without even a goodbye?

-Oh, common now don't say silly things. Just give me a tight hug!

But while Irene was hugging SG she started to cry in his shoulder.

- Please stay here. Everybody needs you. Your parents have begged you to stay too. Your brother will have done the same thing, but he doesn't want to seem soft in front of all of them.

- Irene, Steve will continue to be in lead and Constantine will have the military command. I will not leave you defenseless. You don't have to worry about that.

- Yeah but in the speech that you give us before you told us that you have the power of this Emerald now. Couldn't this be more useful here than trying to find something far away from here?

- As I told there, I'm not going only to help them but to find answers that can help us to defeat the mutants. Also, these guys will be a very good help in our war against these monsters. Am I wrong Irene?

- Yes, they will be but still...

- Still?

- It's not easy to say it SG. Even more now that I can see that you have make up your mind.

- Just tell me that is not what I think it is...

- You think it's easy to let the person that saved your life to go away from you and don't know when or even if he will come back ever again? You think it's easy to let the person that you...love go away?

- Irene. I know you for so many years and you are a beautiful woman both in the appearance and in the heart. Whoever gets you will be happy to have you. But to be together with me will not be good for neither of us right now.

Irene eyes were already wet even before he speaks, but his words make the things even worst and her eyes were transformed into two big waterfalls. SG tried to be politely but as Irene correctly guessed he has taken his decisions already. And he was not going to change them no matter what.

- I understand SG. Truly. Good luck in your mission.

Irene and SG paused for some seconds and looked each other into the eyes.

- And please be safe.

- I will Irene. We will meet again. I promise.

SG smiled slightly and started marching again towards the rest of the team. And even if SG was feeling that he was marching for the adventure of his life and his decision was right something was a little bit broken inside him.