Diggs

Redwing dropped the spellbook of Luculentus Dicax Sid on his father's laboratory table with a thud. Melock and the Hex looked up from their experiments with welcoming smiles.

"A most interesting volume. And you were correct that once mastered, I'd no longer need the book. The ability to etch a spell into your neural pathways and read it with your mind's eye; priceless. It's changed the way I do everything. Happy Birthday, Raven." He shoved the book toward her.

Toven got up from the table and threw her skinny arms around Redwing in a heartfelt hug. She was sixteen now and he twenty plus years her elder. He was finely dressed as always with a stiff stoic expression that awkwardly tolerated the child grabbing his midsection and squeezing. 

"I'm so happy you're home for my birthday. You'll come on a hike with us? Won't you? Call it my birthday wish." 

"Well, I must be returning to..." He'd lost all interest in nature during his seclusive study.

"Nonsense. Of course, you have time and their's no better time than the present." Melock grabbed the spellbook, put it back on its shelf, and snapped his fingers. 

The three appeared ten miles beyond the woodsmen village on a pathway that ran from the edge of the forest back to town. 

"Oh, thank you!" Toven ran ahead chasing butterflies into a clearing. 

"Children need plenty of fresh air." Melock walked briskly down the path in bare feet. 

"I'm hardly a child, old man." Redwing's wide gait allowed him to stroll along and still keep up. 

"Of course not, but us old fellows need a good walk twice as much. So, you enjoyed Sid's work did you?"

"Indeed. I'd like to put it to the test and myself as well by paying our old friend Kulju a visit." 

Melock turned up his face in elongated surprise.

"And this time I'll be taking your advice and not going alone," continued Redwing. 

"Excellent. Will you be taking your wolf friend or maybe the human popsicle with the eye patch?" 

"He does have his uses but I'll keep him on ice until I need something. With Lazar watching my back I'm sure I'll be just fine. She's grown quite powerful these past two decades." 

"And she is the pup you saved last time? It seems fitting." Melock looked over his adult son. "I do believe you are more than ready. Would you like another one of my protection from evil potions?" 

He reached behind his ear and produce a small glass vial filled with glowing yellow liquid, handed it to Redwing, and smirked as he stashed it away in his pocket. 

"What's all this then?"

Ahead of them and off to the side of the trail, Hex ran off into a field. There were bodies on the ground and dirt being flung out of a hole. The two wizards quickened there pace as Hex stood over the pit looking down. 

"Are you alright?" she asked. 

"Dig-g-gs! I have to dig," answered a child's voice from the pit. 

The bodies of a recently slain man and woman lay on the ground next to the grave. Their shoes were missing as well as belts, jackets, and any valuables of any kind. Closer to the woods was the body of a pack mule with an arrow sticking out of its neck. A large anvil, a ripped bag of tools, and a rummaged through chest of clothing was all that was left behind. At the bottom of the deep grave was a little boy of maybe 5 years of age digging away with a broken spade. 

"Are these your parents? What's your name?" asked Melock.

The boy looked up at the black-haired girl, the white-haired old man, and the stern figure with a shaved head. 

"Diggs! I have to digs." The boy was determined to bury his parents. 

"Let us help you." 

Melock reached down and pulled the boy out. With a wave of his hand, the bodies slid into the grave and dirt from the small pile next to it began filling it in. 

"Wait!" 

The boy ran over to the mule, rummaged through the spilled belonging, and came back with a hammer, some wool, and a sewing needle. He held the items for a moment saying goodbye and dropped them into the grave. Then he picked up his shovel and began filling in the hole. 

Redwing with words the boy didn't understand ignited a fire that consumed the dead burrow and the remaining belonging. Melock helped the boy fill the grave in with telekinesis and Toven took the boy's hand and cried for him. 

"What is your name?" 

"I'm Mevner, my mother is Beatrice and my father Ozgold. Our donkey was called Casper." He looked at the fresh dirt of the covered hole. 

"Well, Mevner Ozgold, do you have any people in woodmen's village you can go to?"

"No, we've been traveling... a long time. Grandma died in winter." 

"He's dealt with a lot of death for being so young. His will is strong, resilient," said Redwing. 

"Indeed." Melock sensed Redwing saw himself in the terrified but trying not to show it, little boy.

"He would make a fine apprentice," added Redwing.

"He has no one, master, couldn't he come live with us? I'll take care of him. He can have the room next to mine. I've always wanted a little brother. Oh, please?" Toven's birthday wishes were getting complicated.

"I'm Toven Hex but you can call me Raven," she told little Mevner. "Do you have a nickname your family called you?" 

Mevner held his little broken trowel to his chest. "Mama called me Diggs."