Ch 10 | Impulsive moments

Beginne am Anfang

The thing that I thought when I first saw her is the only thing that seems to apply to her now: An open book written in a language I can't understand.

When I arrived in the box Chapatti already began welcoming everyone to the stadium, starting the third day of the Games.

p.o.v Yanida Clover

Big places like a castle, a school or a stadium feel a bit weird when they are completely empty. Yet I enjoy the quiet and peace that comes with it.

After everyone left, I choose to stay behind in this grand building. The last couple of days were an emotional rollercoaster. The last days I really needed to do my best to dampen my powers, It would make me completely mad to hear all the inner thoughts from thousands of people at the same time. Also, the constant shot of adrenaline made me unable to get a good night rest.

Now I'm just laying down on the ground with my bare feet placed on the ground feeling the sand and dirt between my toes. The setting sun that just barely shines over the big walls warming my relaxed face. With my eyes closed, I listened to the wind circling through all the gaps in the arena, and the overflying birds singing summer songs.

After Laxus' fight, I followed him to the infirmary to ask if I could do something to help him heal but Porlyusica kicked me out saying: "I can't work with you breathing in my neck, be gone human!" I said goodbye to Laxus before the door closed in front of me. 'She is never going to change' I thought to myself walking with my hands in my pockets through the empty hallway.

I heard the commentator announce Wendy and Cherria and ran back to the Fairy Tail B team box to cheer her on. When her battle ended in a tie I leaned against the back wall and tried to give my exciting heart a rest.

And now I'm here, in the middle of the stadium looking at the empty seats and the empty guild boxes. I inhaled deeply, in and out. I felt my mind finding peace and my bones and muscles relax. I have to keep my mind straight and not let my emotions lead, or we could get a repeat from last night. Attacking Sabertooth was definitely an impulsive choice led by my anger and encouraged by Natsu's flame. But I wasn't sorry for it, the members of Sabertooth need to realize that the way they're handling things isn't right, it's not honourable.

'What am I doing here, I shouldn't be bothered by what she said but...' I heard someone think and frowned. I wasn't expecting any mind this close by, so I sat upright and scanned the place with squinted eyes, but couldn't find the owner. 'If Sting would know what I intend to do he would punch me and drag me back.'

My eyes widened as I realised who it was; Rogue. What is he doing here, I'm the only one present so he must be coming towards me? I actually thought I scared him off last night, he doesn't seem like the kind of guy that would bother what someone thinks of him. But on the other hand, I don't know him. I honestly don't even know why I said it to him, it was an impulsive night and I was bursting with adrenaline.

I stood up and faced the entrance I thought he would walk through, waiting for him to decide what to do. 'I'm here after all, it can't hurt to just...' He finally appeared from the shadows.

"Did you come to fight me, unofficial?" I asked him, smiling mysteriously with my right hand on my hips. "No, I was bothered by what you said last night when you tried to get killed." He answered not showing any expression on his face. I opened my mouth to give him a slight remark, but I couldn't think of anything. It seemed like Rogue was pleased by that; "So you're a telepath. Not really what I expected. It still doesn't explain how you know about Skaidrum." He stopped walking when we were 8 foot apart. 'What is he trying to gain here?' I thought knitting my eyebrows together eyeing him sceptically.

"But that's not why I'm here either," he took a moment to think, and I was polite enough to not sneak around in his mind ", I'm no coward, that's just how our guild works. It's nothing to get upset by."

I straightened myself more and shook my head a little. "Maybe that's how Sabertooth works, but real guilds care about each other. And because it is, doesn't mean it should be." I explained raising my voice a little, getting worked up by his neglectful behaviour. Rogue seemed like he didn't know what to say and turned his head to look at something at my right. I gave myself the privilege to find out what he was thinking.

'I want to defend Sabertooth, but how can I defend something, when I have doubts about it myself?' sensing his dilemma, and how uneasy it made him feel. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have come." Rogue finally said breaking the silence by walking away. But I couldn't let him go like that, it's these impulsive moments that I'm talking about.

"No wait," I said running after him grabbing his right upper arm to make him stop. Rogue ceased his walking and turned 45° degrees, expecting me to say something. But I didn't know what to say to comfort him, this man is still a stranger.

"I shouldn't," I began choosing my words carefully ",-I shouldn't make assumptions of something I hardly know anything about. I don't have the right to say that you're a coward because I don't even know you, honestly, I don't even know myself why I sent you that telepathic message." I emptied my heart to him a little, during that time I didn't let go of Rogue's arm.

When I noticed my hand still holding his biceps my eyes widened, and I took a step back letting him go. I wanted to apologize but he beat me to it by ignoring what just happened. "No, you're right. I am a coward. I couldn't find myself stepping up for Yukino, afraid of what would happen to me if I did." He seemed angry at himself while thinking back at that moment, making a fist of his right hand and looking at the ground with closed eyes.

"I am a coward too, you know." I said trying to comfort him, smiling a bit when I looked at him standing in front of me. "I'm afraid to go to my parents, I haven't seen them in nearly a decade. And I can hardly remember how their faces look like, but I'm too afraid to face them because I did them wrong," And here I stood telling my biggest fear to a stranger trying to make him feel better, I quickly spread my hands in front of me waving them confounded ", I'm sorry, it wasn't appropriate of me to say that. Why would you even care about that? I just said that be-" I tried but Rogue interrupted my rambling, which I was thankful for.

"Thank you, and I think you'll find them when you're ready for it." He told me locking his eyes with mine, sending me a little smile. And that picture, Rogue smiling instantly melted my heart. "Rogue-sama!" a cute voice called out in the hallway. Not a second later the green exceed Frosch appeared beside Rogue looking up at me. "Who are you?" he asked me politely, "I'm Yanida Clover, it's nice to meet you," I said holding my hand for him to shake but he didn't. Frosch looked up at Rogue, and I followed his gaze, still bowed down with my outstretched arm. Rogue was still smiling and picked up Frosh to carry him in his arms.

I straightened myself making my medallions tinkle around my hips. "I'll be going then," I said passing Rogue and his exceed, leaving with the little dignity that I still had. What would Laxus say if he knew I poured my heart out to Rogue Cheney from Sabertooth?

p.o.v Rogue Cheney

With Frosch in my arms, I turned around to watch Yanida leave the stadium, her medallions tinkling in a soft rhythm. I couldn't deny liking the way she made music by just walking away from me, it makes me wonder what kind of music she would make if she- I stopped my train of thoughts right then and there.

"Fro is tired." Frosch declared with his carefree voice. I smiled looking down at him; "Then we shall go to our room."

We were walking towards the inn when I noticed bright lights coming from the resort. Frosch looked up with eyes full of wonder; "Fro wants to know what that is." He asked pointing at the grand building. "That's Ryuikian Resort, it's a tropical swimming pool with slides and aquariums and such," I explained hearing some far off music coming from it.

"Fro wants to go on a slide." He told me histhoughts pushing the sleepiness away. I groaned inwardly. Personally, I didn't have the intention of goingthere, too many people, doing stupid stuff. But I can't say no to Frosch, Itried before, but it was no use. This exceed can get everything from me, and hedoesn't even have to ask for it.

-------------AN---------------
I'm so sorry for it being to late. I had a really busy day with the end of the year (for school), I hope you enjoyed the chapter none the less.