thirty-nine

I am awoken by the sound of the shower turning off. "What the heck?" I groan, as the pain in my back becomes very prominent. "Why did I have to fall asleep this way?" I wonder aloud.

"I don't know. If you ask me, it was a stupid thing to do." A female voice seated across from me, on what I'm guessing is the toilet seat, answers my question.

Even in my delusional morning state I can still roll my eyes. "What are you doing here Veronica?"

A smirk graces her facial features. "I was in the neighborhood. So I thought I'd stop by." She says, looking as smug as a person can while sitting on a wooden bathroom chair.

I take her smugness as my opportunity to stand up. Slowly, after creaking every possible bone in my body, I manage to move myself into an upright position. The shower floor is slippery, and I think that I've spent enough time in the shower for now, so I step out. My feet plant themselves on the cold bathroom tiles, as I plan how to subtly kick out my visitor.

"Oh," I say, crossing my arms over my chest. "So you were just in the neighborhood and you thought it would be a great time to visit your old friend, Sady. Might I add that Sady despises your guts." I say, threatening her with friendly humor.

"Look," She says, boredom knitting her features into a scowl. "You hate me, and I hate you. It's actually a simple rule."

She has full and undivided attention now because she's never actually said that she hates me. Ever. So something big must be happening for her to finally confess what I've known for months.

I nod in agreement, so that she knows we're on the same page, that I do in fact hate her.

She seems to smile at the fact that my thinking status of her as the skankiest bitch on Earth hasn't changed in all of the confusion.

"But.." She begins, and forces a smile. I'm immediately scared of what she'll say because I know it will probably shatter the Earth's core. "I'm willing to put all of our past... issues behind us."

I stare at her in complete shock. If I lived for a hundred years I never thought I would see this day. I was wrong, it wasn't Earth-shattering, it was enough to blow up our whole galaxy. My arms tighten around my chest, and for a second, I try to crush myself with the force.

"Sady, is it a truce or not?" She asks me, giving me an earnest look.

I don't know whether it's the breeze from outside freezing me to my core, or my excessive tiredness, or maybe I'm just plain crazy, but in that minute I realize something.

I realize that you can't cling on to the past, or it will mess you up more than you'll ever know. That you have to forgive people for what they did wrong, or at least give them a second chance and if they screw up again, then you can kick their butt.

I'm not saying that I'll stop hating her. I can probably never stop hating her for all the things she did to me, and to him. All it means is that I won't pull out my bows and arrows whenever she comes around. And it'll be nice, if she can keep her end of the deal.

"Yeah Veronica," I say. "truce."

"Okay," She says and actually smiles.

"Okay," I say. "But why are you really here?"

She hesitates before sitting back down on the chair. A sigh escapes her lips, and she nervously runs a hand through her silky red hair.

"A-Amy is my friend." She murmurs. I already knew that because I remember seeing them together that night at Vizo. I don't want to think about the fact that Bradley was there too.