twelve

"I just want you to know, that the only thing that I don't have, is the thing I want the most desperately. And Sady Wells, it's you."

His words echo in my mind, like a broken record. They sound so sweet to my ears, too sweet. For some reason, my heart rate goes up and my knees weaken every time I hear those words. He said it's me. The thing he doesn't have that he wants the most desperately, is me.

All of my anger, sadness, and pain are pushed away, for the moment. What he said was sweet, but I can't keep pretending that it was the only thing he said.

"That Tuesday morning, I don't know what possessed me to say those cruel things. But I promise you, the Bradley you met, that first night is the real Bradley." He had also said.

That Tuesday morning, I remember better than my high school graduation. As sad and pathetic as that is, it's true. His words made a huge impact on me that morning and I can't forget them. I try and plead with myself to hold it together and keep my eyes tear-free, as my cruel mind slaps me in the face with the most unwanted memory that I have in my mind.

Flashback

"Can I go now?" I ask him. "No." He says, the same emotion as before flickering in his eyes, "Not until we get something straight."

"There's nothing to 'get straight'." I tell him in a matter-of-fact tone.

"Oh yes there is." He says mockingly to me as he chuckles. He actually thinks that this is funny. "You think that this is funny?" I screech at him.

His laughter stops cold, and an emotion flickers in his eyes, but it's gone so fast that I can't recognize it. His face darkens and his emotions harden. "Oh my. I'm sorry Sady. Did you really think that I felt something for you? That I feel something for you?" He yells at me.

I nod, timidly.

He scoffs. "Well, News flash. I don't." My mouth hangs open and I can't deny it. He's caught me off guard. Big time. "Oh, and by the way, Sady. That's what we needed to get straight." He says coolly. And with that he unlocks the door.

+ + +

I can't help but allow a few tears slip out of my eyes as the memory kills me all over again.

I am brought back to reality by the warmth of Bradley's hand cupping my chin and tilting my face up to meet his. He skims his thumb under my eyelids and catches my fallen tears. Why won't the damn tingles just not come for once?

"What's wrong, Sady? What is it?" He pleads with me.

"Nothing." I say in a too high voice, looking around the room. I see that Daliah and Connor have finished their make out session, and are staring at us. I don't miss the fact that their fingers are intertwined with each other. I also don't miss the obvious hapiness that radiates off of them as they stand near each other. They're good for each other, just by looking at them I know it.

My eyes are brought up to Bradley's when he moves his wandering thumb back under my chin. He tilts my chin up, ever so slowly. His breathing is ragged and mine seems to have stopped all together. He tucks a loose strand of hair behind my ear, and leaves a trail of fire when his hand pulls away. I know he's about to kiss me. I know that he is. But I can't...

My thoughts are put on hold by him pressing his body up against mine. His arm supports my back and I'm grateful because my knees are turning to jello. The only thing that I smell is heaven and the only thing I see is Bradley. I can't think. I can't think. He starts leaning in.

I don't want to think.

He is so close that I can feel his warm, minty breath fanning my face. I can't let him... His lips ghost over mine... and I place my hands on his chest. I push him back a fraction because I need to think.

He freaking breaks my heart, and makes me cry continously for a week. Then he comes back and tells me a bunch of sweet stuff and expects me to kiss him, like everything's okay? Uh, I don't really think that's the best idea. Especially when my heart is just healing and I don't know when the next attack from Bradley will come. I know that he said that the Bradley from that Tuesday morning isn't the "real" Bradley. But to be honest, I don't entirely believe that, the verbal attack was too thorough.

Bradley raises his hands as if to say "what happened? "

"Look Bradley, what you said was sweet and it really touches me that you feel this way. But... I can't kiss you yet. I mean, I spent the past week crying and there's still Veronica to deal with. Plus, I really think that we should take things slow." I try to explain but end up rambling uncontrollably.

He looks at me for a second and various emotions bounce around in his eyes. Finally, his eyes settle on the same emotion that they had that morning. Oh God, no. This can't happen again, I barely survived the last attack. I immediately want to squeeze my hands against my head, whether I explode my skull or not, I can't listen to this. I try to move my hands to cover my ears, but they won't move. My brain isn't working as I stare into Bradley's eyes, which are glowing with the unknown emotion again. It could be anger. It could be the sudden urge to be wicked.

"And you look Sady," He spits at me. I flinch anticipating the blow, that will come in a second. I know that I don't want to hear this, I can't hear this, but I can't will my feet to move. "I just pitied you and your little trainwreck spree, that you have been dragging all over London. The only reason that I said all of that retarded shit to you and attempted to kiss you, was because I felt sorry for you. In all honesty, I don't know what the hell I was thinking." As he says these wicked words all I can see is Bradley with his aviators on, zooming away from me in his car.

"And you, let's take things slow. Ha! I was only going to kiss you because I wanted my life to really go on without you, like you made clear to me in the hospital. So if you excuse me, I have to go and spend time with-"

"Please don't." I croak out in a pained voice. The tears have started falling down my face again and a pathetic sob escapes my lips. I knew it. But I can't dwell on that right now. I just don't want him to continue that sentence. I can't let him continue that sentence, because I know what the ending of it is. Verbal assaults, I can just barely handle. But that name will be what sends me off the edge. If I'm not dead yet, surely hearing that name will kill me.

He smirks, coldly. "Veronica." He says, enunciating every syllable.

That is it. That is all I can handle before I stagger away from Bradley and up the stairs in a heaving frenzy. I trip up the stairs, taking them two at a time. I can faintly hear shouting downstairs and a door slamming shut, but all I can really focus on is the uneven beating of my own heart.

At the top of the stairs, I sprint into the room I remember as Daliah's. As soon as I'm inside, I slam the door closed and lock it. I slump down against the door and heave with the tears falling down my face.

Again. This is happening again. Here I am after Bradley hurts me, slumped against a door, crying. Though, it hurts, I can't say I didn't expect it. But this time it's much worse than the last time. This time, he didn't just hurt me, he also embarrassed me in front of Daliah and Connor. I don't know anymore. I just don't know. My head hurts and my eyes sting. I've probably cried ten times today and I just want to sleep.

Bradley just yelled at me and called everything he'd said in his sweet speech 'retarded shit'. Then he left to go spend time with Veronica. Regardless, I know she's his fiancé. But I guess after the speech and the caring look in his eyes and the almost kiss... I just thought... Ugh. I just don't know what to think anymore. Hell, I don't know how to think anymore.

I hear pounding on the door. Daliah, I think. I assume that Connor left when Bradley did. I want to think that Connor isn't like Bradley but I don't know. I just don't know anymore.

Though I am── suprise, suprise ──proven wrong, when I hear Connor shout against the wooden door. "Sades, believe me. He didn't mean it. He didn't mean any of it."

Oh yeah. I bet he didn't.

"He didn't mean it? What the hell is that supposed to mean? " I want to scream back at him, but all that comes out is a low guttural sound.

The banging doesn't stop. It's been a long day and honestly I just want to go to sleep. So, with tear stained cheeks, a blotchy face, and the rhythm of banging in my head, I do.

A/N: tysm guys ily for all of the votes and comnents and reads :') it means so much ♥