twenty-four

Bradley walks with purposeful, steady steps as he comes towards us with a neutral expression on his face. Everything seems to happen in slow motion with every step closer that he takes. The crunching sound that his Converse make on the gravel. The nervous way that he runs his hands through his hair. The way his white t-shirt shows off his toned muscles every time he tugs at his hair.

My knees almost buckle under me at the sight of him, until I remind myself that I have to be strong. He can't just hurt me again then come back three days later, looking all hot... I have to be strong. Well, I have to try.

I hear light running beside me, and in my trance, I wonder who it is. Daliah and Connor, I realize as I turn my head to the side. Sure enough, they are not standing beside me anymore. Instead, they are inside Connor's car, turning on the air conditioning. Cowards. How could they set this up and then attempt to leave me alone?

"Daliah!" I yell, hoping to catch her attention. The car pulls out of the driveway. Daliah and Connor wave at me as they drive away. "See you at the party... and be nice!" Daliah calls out, just before they turn a corner and drive away from my field of vision.

At this point, I don't even know whether she's saying I should be nice, or he should be nice. I sigh as I add this set up to my long list of betrayals.

"We are your friends, that's why we did this." Daliah had said when Bradley's car pulled up in front of us.

What did she mean by that? It absolutely boggles my mind. She knows about all that he's done to me, all the pain that I have felt. She pretty much told me that she hates the guy! So why would she tell him to come back into my life when I need him out of it the most? I don't know. It feels like everyone is telling me the same sick joke, and I'm the only one who never knows the punchline.

I turn my head back to face Bradley but am surprised when I find that he is standing so close to me, all I can see is the brown depths of his eyes. He must have taken my head being turned to the side as a chance to get this close to me. I gasp and stumble backwards out of pure shock. I slip on the slick pavement and for a second, I'm falling, then a pair of warm, muscular arms grab my waist and hold me away from the ground. The wind is knocked from my body as his amazing scent fills my nostrils.

I make the mistake of looking up at him. His hair is a mess and his eyes glow brightly. His pink lips are parted slightly. He slowly brings me up to standing position, but his hands don't leave my waist. His eyes burn with an unknown emotion, but I'm sure my eyes burn the same way. He brings me closer to him and he leans in closer to me.

He wants to kiss me. I want to kiss him as well, I can't even deny it anymore, but I have to be strong. I just have to show him that I'm not some stupid girl. I put my hands against his chest lightly.

"Uh, hi Brad." I squeak, still pushing at his chest. He removes his hands from my chest and places them over mine, but he still keeps coming closer.

"Hey." He breathes, fanning my face with his minty breath. Boy, do I want to kiss him right now.

I push at him one more time. "Can we go to the party now?" I whisper, because he's taken my breath away. Not to sound cliché or anything.

"Kiss me." He breathes, making me gasp. He's never been so forward about kissing or anything really in our relationship. I'm confused, so I better come up with a calm and collected response.

"K-kiss you?" Yep, real smooth.

"Yes love, kiss me." He almost pleads.

"N-no Brad. Let's go." I mumble, standing by my resolution to not give in to him and his predatory advances.