seven

I stare at the creature for, what seems like, hours. She's not me. She's not me. She is not what I look like. This thing from a bad scary movie, is not me. She can't be me.

I run a hand through my greasy hair, and the creature does the same. I touch the welt that I know is on my neck, and the creature does the same. I touch under my left eye, and the creature touches the dark ring under her left eye.

She is not me.

I step closer to the creature, and she steps closer to me. We repeat this action until we are face to face, with only the mirror seperating us. I stroke the mirror's surface, and she does the same.

She can't be me.

"Who are you?" I whisper to her, my voice cracking at the end. I need to know who this is. If this isn't me, which I know it isn't, then I need to know who this is. I need to know why she keeps taunting me with her lifeless looks and broken demeanor. I need to know.

To my horror, she mouths "Who are you?" as well. But there is no sound.

"What do you want with me?" I shriek at the creature. She mouths my words back at me.

This is not me. There is no way that this is me.

I stalk backwards with a plan. The creature does the same. I want to scream in frustration and agitation, but I know now that she will only copy me. I go to a bathroom cupboard and rifle around until I find a hairbrush. I walk back towards her and sure enough she has a hairbrush in hand, as well. I stand a few feet away from the mirror, and she does too. But now she has a crazed look in her eyes. With her villager eyes and hairbrush in hand, she looks like an animal. Like someone who should be locked up in a zoo.

I hate how she taunts me, it reminds me of Veronica. And I hate Veronica. I honestly do.

Now, as I'm thinking of Veronica, the creature turns into Veronica, before my eyes. I'm going crazy, I know I am. This Veronica doesn't look like the one from a week ago, the one with the aristocratic clothes and bush rat eyelashes, oh no, the universe isn't that kind. She looks like a carefree Veronica, with her ponytail and makeup free face. She is the Veronica from the nightmare, I soon realize. The same Veronica that kissed Bradley before my very eyes. The same Veronica that walked away hand in hand with her famous fiancé, as I was melting into the gutter. The same Veronica that is the reason, that I am where I am now.

As I stare at her dazzling smile and perfect hair, animosity courses through my veins. My hands are shaking and, before I know what's happening, I throw the hairbrush hard at the Veronica-poisoned mirror. I watch in horror and shock as the hairbrush shatters the mirror. Glass shards fly everywhere and I stand frozen where I am. I stand paralyzed, like in the nightmare.

The only time that I move is when a shard slices a deep gash in my left arm. I fall to my knees on the fallen glass shards and scream. How did this happen?, I think as I try to breathe through the pain. I can't. The pain is too intense. I shriek as I feel a few of the shards break through the protective skin of my knees.

A few seconds later, I hear a loud wrapping on the door. "Sadey! What is happening in there?! Open up, now! Sades?!" Benny hollers. The pounding on the door does not stop and I am starting to feel a dull aching in my left temple.

I sob loudly, because the pain is too much. It's taking over my thoughts. "Benny." I whimper as the blood from the gash starts to spill all over my grey sweatshirt. The brightness of the lights in the bathroom is clouding my vision and the pain is obstructing the blood flow to my brain. There is glass everywhere., I think as I feel myself slipping away from reality, and its all his fault. It's all Bradley's fault.