Ten: Yoggu (욕구)

Start from the beginning

You stood and gave her a timid smile, "To what do I owe this privilege?"

"Well," the woman stood tall in her silk robes with her hands crossed in front of her stomach, looking like the epitome of dignity and refinement, "I realized we have not had any individual time to speak, so I thought I would pay you a visit. I brought a long a guest, if that is alright?"

You look at the woman next to the Empress, she slowly brought her face up from the floor. Her beauty had you stunned, but her eyes glared so hateful you thought she was trying to burn holes through your skull.

"You remember Princess Joohyun?" the Empress asked, her eyes narrowing and a vicious smirk forming on her lips, "My son Seokjin's first wife and future Empress of Goryeo."

Now you knew what was going on. They were here to send a message. The message that Seokjin was off limits.

"O-Of course," you stuttered slightly before nodding to the gorgeous woman, "It is an honor to have you as well, Princess. Please sit and Jiyoo will prepare more tea."

The royal women settled themselves down at your sitting table; the Empress at the head, yourself and Princess Joohyun sitting opposite of one another on either side of her. You tried your best to smile despite the predatory looks they were giving you. To your relief, Jiyoo soon brought out your warm drinks to disrupt the awkward silence.

"So Princess..." the Empress drew, sipping her tea leisurely, "You have truly set our kingdom buzzing with excitement since your arrival."

You hold your tea cup still between your hands, "I am humbled by that, your majesty. I know when we had foreign delegates visit France it would throw the large cities into a frenzy."

"Oh, it's not as simple as being new and thrilling creature for the people to witness, but they have become enthralled in your unique beauty," the high-ranking woman replied.

You blush and duck your eyes, "I'm sure that is an exaggeration."

"Not at all," she argued, "Our subjects have developed a great attraction to you."

"Well, I am honored for their interest," you humbly reply and sip your tea.

"It seems my husband has taken a deep interest in you as well, Princess. Do you feel honored by that?" Princess Joohyun spoke for the first time. It was apparent she was trying to keep her tone calm, but there was pure venom lacing her silky voice.

You looked up at her sudden, threatening words. Glancing between her and the Empress' matching dangerous gazes, you gulped your tea down thickly.

"I-I don't know if I would say the Prince is 'interested' in me," you defended (lied), "He is just being hospitable to a guest in his home."

The Princess scoffed, taking you by surprise at her unbecoming behavior, "Cordiality does not include city tours and private audiences."

"I—"

"Enough!" the young royal slammed her cup on the table, splatter the brown liquid all over the red surface, "You will stay away from my husband or else—!"

"Alright," the Empress interrupted, gently placing her hand on the fuming Princess's shaking hand before turning to your stunned face, "Princess, I also see the sparkle in my son's eye when he looks at you... and I also do not approve."

Your resisted the urge to let your true feelings shine through as you stared the woman directly in her eye. She was fully serious behind her fake smile.

"You are not of our world and that peaks fascination," she said, pushing her tea cup away, "My son with lose his infatuation with you soon enough and that is for the best. You would never be able to fit into our culture's expectations and I would never allow you to remain here to enchant him further. He has a path he must follow in life and that includes Joohyun. It will never be you."