Five: Daejeon (대전)

You were sitting in the bumpy carriage, being jostled around for the final time as your party came closer and closer to the Goryean palace.

You barely noticed while you were jarred and jerked around on your seat to the curves of the dirt road as your nerves were buzzing overtime. Anxiety was currently gripping you tightly, making you think you might faint or throw up. But you fought the feeling with all your strength. You needed to be strong, to not show your fear.

Taking a deep breath, you attempted to sill your rapidly beating heart.

Your thoughts immediately went to the imaged from your dream last night. The single dark figure, surrounded by a white glowing hue, radiating divinity and adoration. A familiar heat crawled across your skin once again, sedating every nerve in your body as the comforting feeling of love enveloped you once more and lulled your body into calmness.

A loud knock rang on the door frame of your carriage, making you jump and squeal slightly. You reached over to the window to sweep back the thick fabric curtain, seeing Michault trotting his horse alongside the wagon.

"Are you alright, Princess?" he asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Yeah, sorry," you breathed, "Just deep in thought."

He nodded in understanding, "We are coming up on Gaegyeong and the royal palace."

Your eyes widened, "Already?! We haven't even been on the road that long!"

"Princess, we've been traveling since before dawn and its well past mid-day now," he replied slowly.

It hadn't even felt that long to you; maybe merely an hour.

"Oh," you said softly as worry began to hit you once again.

"You are going to be fine," Michault said quietly, reassuring you as a friend, "I know you are worried, but there will be time for you to prepare to see the Emperor and get acclimated to your new surroundings."

"That's good," you sighed with a nod.

"And also..." Michault paused.

"What?"

"You get to bathe," he scrunched up his nose, "You're kinda gross."

You gasp in offence, quickly swinging the curtain back over the window to block out the rude man.

"Hey," he chuckled and knocked on the door frame again, "I was just kidding."

"Go away!" you huffed.

"Fine," he laughed, "I'll see you soon anyway."

You continued to sulk, but it only lasted minutes before there was another knock at your window.

"I said leave me alone!" you shouted to who you assumed was Michault coming back to taunt you further.

"Excuse me, majesty?" came a voice that was definitely not Michault's.

You quickly scrambled over to the window, throwing the curtain to see your offended uncle.

"I am so sorry, uncle," you apologized, "I thought you were someone else."

He chuckled and smiled, "That is alright, Princess. I knew you wouldn't talk to your dear uncle that way."

You smiled back.

"I wanted to tell you we are entering the village perimeter of the palace. Open the curtains fully so you can see," he told you.

You gasped, flinging the drapes open quickly and practically hanging from one of the windows to see the royal city. Audric merely shook his head in amusement before trotting his horse up to the front of the company.