29

IT WAS INCREDIBLY HOT when she woke up. She wasn't that fazed though as she opened her eyes, already having seen everything before, the glassy, dark sky that enveloped the whole place, the floor made out of shards of blue and purple, the flames that reached towards everything and nothing.

And him, as he was sitting down in that same position again, crouched down as his elbow rested on his knee, his cheek on his hand as he focussed his gaze on her. She couldn't read his obsidian eyes, but then again, she never had before, so it didn't bother her that much.

"What are you waiting for?" she asked.

The devil blinked in surprise, but before he could even react she repeated the same words she had to him the first time.

"Help me up," she ordered as she extended her hand.

His laugh began slowly, like a tornado whirling around her, embracing her in it's suffocating and deadly touch as it bounced against the onyx walls and died in his obsidian eyes.

"Jasmina fucking Nawar," he said," I knew I should have picked someone else. You've always been too smart for your own good."

She raised her eyebrows as she waved her extended hand and he grasped her hand, helping her up in a fluid move.

"Do you like dying?" he said," this is the second time in two weeks, you know."

She chuckled, but the amusement quickly faded out of his eyes as he pulled her close to him.

"How did you do it?" he whispered," no, how did you even know?"

"Know what?" she said as she batted her eyelashes at him.

He rolled his eyes as he let her go, pacing away as the fires around him started to get higher and wilder.

"Don't feign ignorance," he said," it isn't a good look on you."

"Everything is a good look on me," she said.

She watched the mix of irritation and curiosity on his face influence even the sky above, which was becoming clouded with grey hues. When he turned around to her then and raised his eyebrows expectantly, she smiled, before starting to talk.

"I've never been one not to read the fine print," she said," you should've known better than to put it in your contract."

"I wouldn't have," he chuckled breathily," but I'm bound to fully disclose all information. Still, you're the first one to even read the whole thing that fast and to even do this -"

"The mortal that signs this contract is bound to it by the life granted to him or her," she recited," for there is no soul to give if they are dead." She smiled at his expression, before adding. "I have an excellent memory."

"How did you even do it?" he said as he shook his head, nearing her again.

"Easy," she said," I knew I couldn't die or the contract would be void, but I had to test the theory out. Just in case it was fake. Hence you being summoned because Ira caused an earthquake. I just needed you to believe I didn't know about the fine print yet, so I put on the act of just assuming you would come out of nowhere to my aid because I was better off alive to you."