This Is Why We Keep Our Feelings Bottled Up, Like Normal Organisms

~~~~~~~~~~Bella~~~~~~~~~~

He kissed him. Of course he had to go and do something so absolutely stupid. Kiss the human, Dan! Great idea!

But I didn't let him know what I was thinking, only holding him close and telling him it'd be okay. I knew how it was when the memories came back, I knew Dan just needed a bit of comfort right now, and that was okay.

I held him until his shaking slowed, and eventually stopped. "Do you want to talk about it?" I asked gently, bumping his hip with mine. He just sighed, gently pulling away. He hadn't been big on physical contact since everything with Felix happened. They had been almost attached at the hip.

"Was it at least a good kiss?" I asked, smiling carefully at him.

He glared at me, sighing even louder. I sent him a pointed look, and his face softened after a few seconds. "Maybe," he whispered dejectedly.

"What do you actually think of the kid? Talk it all out with me, Dan. You know it'll make you feel better." I knew Dan better than I knew the back of my own hand, he may have been a bit closed off since our childhood, and liked control a bit too much, but he deeply cared about those he was close to. Of course there was a lot of lingering pain from what Felix had done to our lives residing in him, but pain like that was impossible to resolve. I still struggled every day, missing my mom, missing my little sisters.

He seemed to contemplate for a bit, looking blankly at the wall across from us. "I just," he started, seeming to have trouble forming the words, his eyebrows scrunched, like he was gearing up for something big. "I-"

"We have company!" Jerry screamed, cutting him off, sound travelling through the still open trapdoor. There was a loud crash, and a bone-shaking roar.

"Fuck!" Dan yelled, composing himself in less than a second and jumping to his feet, reaching a hand down to help me up. I followed him to the ladder, both of us taking it at record speed.

We emerged into a scene from our nightmares.

4 Belzar were surrounding Jerry and Cleo, who were bravely trying to fight back against the masses of writhing tentacles and gaping mouths. These were the scouts, the foot soldiers, the deadliest kind. They were programmed for killing, and killing only. But if they were close, that meant more were close behind. They traveled in packs.

Johnny was morphed into a gargantuan beast, almost feline in nature, but with teeth as long as my arm. He kept lunging at the Belzar around him, but they were shooting more and more tentacles out, wrapping around his arms. Jerry was shooting fireballs all over the place, exploding into Belzar and sending chunks of black flying across the barren dirt road, paired with Cleo slashing her twin knives.

"The bags! The boy!" Jerry screamed at us, "You know what you have to get!" As soon as he turned his attention away from the fight, a large tentacle reached out and grabbed him around the neck, dragging him towards the screaming mouth at the center.

I turned away, sprinting for the plastic bags abandoned in the corner of the van next to the unconscious boy, frantically tossing the useless contents to the side. There! A big bag of salt! I ripped it open with my teeth and good arm, grabbing a single big handful and sprinting for the fight, launching past Dan, who was slashing at a Belzar with the curved scythe-like knife he kept sheathed in his jacket for occasions like these.

I shot a rapid-fire series of images into his mind as I passed, watching him falter just the slightest bit. It was worth it; he knew what he had to do.  

One of the Belzar spotted me, abandoning Cleo and rushing towards my way, slithering across the grass and letting out a blood curdling screech. Everything in my body told me to turn and run the other way, head spinning in fear, but I kept going, dodging tentacles reaching for my limbs. A sharp pain slashed down my side as one of the tentacles caught me, but I just screamed and threw my handful of salt directly into the Belzar's gaping mouth, sharp, needle-like teeth reaching outwards, thirsting for blood.

It screamed even louder, and I dropped to the ground in pain, ears ringing. I watched in stunned silence as the Belzar's screams slowly distorted, black mass slowly sagging further and further to the ground, tentacles trying to reach out but falling to the ground, being sucked back into the main mass, slowly melting into the dirt. It let out one final gurgle, last tentacle sinking down to the ground, and it was silent.

I looked up, seeing my friends and the Belzar alike staring at me.

"Nice one!" Cleo broke the silence, pumping her fist in the air.

The remaining three Belzar screamed, mouths tearing open, launching directly at me.