Call me

Call me (call me) on the line
Call me, call me any, anytime
Call me (call me) my love
You can call me any day or night
Call me
———————————————————————

Toni shuffled awkwardly in the back seat of Rogers car, as he and Riggs escorted her to her house after what seemed like one of the longest days in her life.
Captain Murphy had eventually let her go- with the promise of Toni starting her voluntary 'job' first thing on Saturday morning, along with a phone call home to her parents informing them on the matter.

She'd scoffed and wished him good luck.

"With what, miss parker?" he'd asked as herself, murtaugh and riggs stood from their seats and readied to leave the office.

"Getting a signal from their graves" was her reply.

They'd managed to get hold of someone in the end, as Toni had no choice but to spill who she was staying with.

A foster family, Riggs had thought as he watched murtaugh deal with the girl's family on the other side of the line, informing them on her current situation.
Toni was a foster child.

That explained a lot, he rationalised, as he kept an eye on both his partner and the young teen who was slouched in her seat, twiddling her thumbs in anticipation. Toni most probably acted the way she did due to her upbringing- or rather, a lack of.

He scoffed, and shook his head. That was still no excuse for stealing an officers vehicle.

The drive back 'home' was silent, as no one spoke a word to each other – not that she could imagine either of them wanting to make small talk with a kid who just got them into a load of shit by their own boss.

It's not as though she felt the need to start a conversation with either of them in return- her new 'workmates', 'mentors' if you will. Heck, she was much too cautious to even breathe loudly.

She caught Riggs' eye in the rear-view mirror and shrugged her shoulders sheepishly, almost apologetic. He just glared.

So, she trained her gaze back down to her shoes, and prayed that it would be a quick car journey- all the while telling herself not to feel too disheartened by the piercing look of hate being thrown her way. Many people didn't like her, what was new?

'Yeah, well I don't have to work with those "many people" for the next eight weeks, do I?' she fought with her inner monologue as she was left- in the drowning silence of the car- to wrestle with her thoughts.

The nearer she reached her house the more uncertain she began to feel. She didn't want to face what was ahead of her, but then again, she didn't want to spend any more time with Riggs and Murtaugh either.

City streets began to fade into more rural neighbourhoods the further out they drove, and Toni watched with dull enthusiasm as tall flashy buildings slowly transitioned into colourful, pristine houses- each adorned with their own plastic flamingo and white picket fenced barricade. No, this wasn't her street.

The driving continued, and the houses got both smaller and more pallid. Pretty colours morphed into bleak greys, and white washed fences were practically unheard of.

Toni smirked to herself, though not an inch of her was all that amused at the sight. 'Home, sweet Home'.

She felt a pair of eyes on her once more, and pulled herself away from the window to find Riggs watching her through the rear view mirror for what was now the second time.

The car rolled to a stop.

Toni's smirk broadened, "Take a picture, it'll last longer"

And with that she was out of the car, shutting the door behind her with a resonating thud, and standing at the foot of the path a particularly grim looking house.
Shit-eating grin still intact, Toni managed a full 180 spin to give a hearty- yet, sarcastic- wave to the two officers still sat in the vehicle watching her, before readying herself to make her way up to the house, and give herself a well needed rest after a very, very long day.