Chapter 79 - Stand tall

Elissa stretches out in the warm water and resting her head against a fluffy towel, closes her eyes while the chamber fills with rose-scented steam. All the stresses from the day simply melt away.

A gentle niggling at her consciousness, like a quiet tapping on a door, intrudes on her peace. Without opening her eyes, she sends out a tendril of magic and ascertains that someone is trying to contact her by magic mirror.

At first she is minded to ignore it, yet as the someone persists, she wonders if something is amiss, especially given the lateness of the hour. With a sigh, she levers herself upright and steps out of the bath. Droplets of water spiral away and she wraps a silk dressing gown around her now dry body.

With a flick of her wrist, beads of condensation on the surface of one of the bathroom mirrors roll outwards and stream down the sides. She diverts the 'call' as she mentally refers to it as, to the glistening surface. Rather than being one of the Watchers as she expected, she is greeted by the visage of a handsome face framed with sleek ebony hair, and a pair of startling silver eyes.

"Morpheus."

"Elissa, you look ravishing today. Positively edible." He bites his bottom lip as his gaze follows a lazy trail down and then back up her skimpy attire. A hint of his magic swirls into the air and his nostrils flare. He purrs, "Roses. Were you thinking of me?"

"Did you just call to flirt or is there a reason you need to speak to me?"

"Do I need a reason? It does so raise my ... spirits, to see you."

"It's just that I would like to go to bed." The moment the words are out of her mouth, she regrets them.

Morpheus fills the frame, having suddenly moved right up to the surface of the mirror on his side. "What I would not do to be able to step right through this barrier to join you."

Yeah, well I'm glad for it. I'm not dressed to tango with the King of Sin. Crossing her arms over her chest, she raises her eyebrows. "You can't have been back at Alfheimr very long. Are you already causing trouble?"

"Already I am lonely." He tries for mournful, but it doesn't suit him. "So, how was your trip to the forest? I heard the elusive dryads came out to dance with you again."

"Yes." She smiles at the memory of being surrounding by the cavorting figures, but her ease flickers like a stuttering candle.

The fun, flirty façade fades and Morpheus becomes immediately serious. "What happened?"

"I ..." Elissa falters and stares deep into his silvery depths, not sure what to reveal. While she cannot trust him with her virtue, their family is a different matter. "Hades. I haven't told the others, but he left me a black rose and a message that he would be seeing me soon."

The tautness of Morpheus's body becomes like a cobra about to strike. There is certainly no love lost between the brothers. If looks could kill.

Mercurial as ever, a sly grin softens his face. "Why not come to Alfheimr for mid-winter. I can protect you and I am sure that we can find ways to amuse ourselves. Your winter can even be on top."

"Morpheus!" She shakes her head. He is incorrigible. "I plan to stay right here, thank you."

Morpheus pouts. "Very well. However, do let me know if he bothers you again."

......

Once more, Aren has the squadron of pigeons on his tail. No predators would dare approach them while he is in his eagle form. Any foolish enough to try attacking would be in for a very nasty surprise.