Chapter 2 - The Watcher

As Elissa drifts back to consciousness, her senses suddenly go onto high alert. Her eyes spring open and she is greeted by golden-yellow eyes staring back at her. Lucifer's arms are braced against the side of the bath, bringing him uncomfortably close. Tendrils of his magic skate across her exposed skin and his scent teases her nostrils.

Ugh, I really could do with a coffee. Her brain is sluggish and caffeine is one of the things she really misses from growing up on Earth.

"Is there something amiss with your bedchamber?" He raises an eyebrow in a face which displays a conflicting mixture of annoyance and amusement.

"Pink and frills really aren't me," she responds flippantly and looks away.

There is no way that she is admitting that awareness of him in the room next door stopped her from sleeping. Thankfully, he pulls away and leaves the room.

Her reprieve is short lived, for Dawn enters the bathroom. The Dragonite sashays over and sitting on the side of the bath, playfully nudges her with a booted foot.

"You are a peculiar one, but I like you. The maids were frantic when they found you missing and your bedchamber in a state of disarray. They were convinced that you had been abducted."

The woman's expression turns to awe at the sight of the sword by her side. "If this is the weapon you wield, then no wonder Kai cannot keep his eyes from you."

Blushing furiously, Elissa tries to deflect the conversation. "It's a gift from Seraphina. After Ishtar blessed me on Ostara, I discovered that I have the power of fire."

"Ishtar? She blessed ... you?" Dawn's eyes narrow, starring fixedly at Elissa's bare arms.

"Er, her mark isn't in the normal place," she explains, the blush returning.

"Where is it then?" Dawn queries, evidently perplexed.

"Lower."

"Show me!" Dawn demands.

"I would rather not."

"I have to see it," Dawn insists and starts to man handle her.

Rather than being pawed, Elissa kicks off the covers and lift up her nightdress to reveal the tattoo on her stomach. It looks like a stylised flower made from eight flames, each one apparently corresponding to a child. Dawn bends right over her to take a closer look and lets off a string of colourful expletives.

"Am I interrupting?" Lucifer asks, choosing that moment to re-enter the bathroom.

For the third time that morning, her face flushes. Pushing down her embarrassment at being caught in what looks like a compromising position, she bites back, "Yes."

Lucifer leans causally against the doorframe and crosses his arms. Dawn clambers off Elissa, smoothing down her nightdress, before giving her a wink and then abandoning her.

Dawn stops to tease Lucifer on the way out, "My king; so virile."

Really? She could have done without Dawn making the situation worse.

Once they are alone, he fixes her with his golden gaze. Despite being sat in the middle of the bath, she nevertheless stares back defiantly as he prowls towards her. Holding out an insistent hand, he pulls her up and reels her in. She uses her free hand to stop herself crashing into his chest.

Dropping his mouth to her ear, he whispers, "Now I am even more interested in what lays beneath your skirts."

If he didn't have such a strong hold on her, she would pull away. Instead, she has to contend with being firmly led back into her bedroom. All the furniture is gone, apart from the bed, which has been stripped bare.