Chapter 52 - Ishtar's gift

Upon waking, Elissa can sense the brooding presence of Kai. After taking a leisurely stretch, she finally opens her eyes and turns to face him. He is laid on the bed beside her on top of the covers and propped up on one arm. He is sporting a pronounced five o'clock shadow and there is a storm brewing in his dark eyes.

"Good morning." She greets him with a sunny smile and reaches up to smooth the crease between his eyes. "Why so grumpy?"

"What do you recall of last night?" His tone is terse.

Her eyes widen and she gesticulates between them. "Did we?"

A low growl rumbles in the back of his throat. "You passed out. Firstly, I have never and never will lay with an unconscious female. Secondly, when I make love to you, I can assure you that you will not forget it."

A flush paints her cheeks; just from what she can remember of their kiss she can believe his claim. The reclined position makes her feel vulnerable, so she sits up and hugs her knees under the covers.

"I must have drunk a bit too much. I was a bit nervous."

"What did you imbibe to cause such intoxication?"

"A red fruity drink." She shrugs.

"Pomegranate elixir?" His frown returns with a vengeance. "Who gave you that? Thankfully I kept a vigil over you all night and there were no ill effects."

He watched over me all night. The thought makes her feel slightly gooey, like a freshly baked cookie.

Throwing her arms around his neck, she kisses his bristled cheek. "My Kaibear."

Goosebumps raise on the skin of her neck when he growls in her ear; this time there is a playful timbre to it and she giggles.

He pulls back and an edge of vulnerability creeps into his voice. "Do you regret kissing me?"

Before her is Elysium's greatest warrior and yet she could bring him to his knees; it is not a position that she wants to abuse.

Three moons have passed since her heart was shattered and now she finally feels ready to move on. Her response is not with words but with a tender kiss upon his lips. He cups her face like it is a fragile and precious thing, and returns the kiss with reverence.

It feels right.

"Kai, I want us to be together, but ..." she halts and bites her lip. "I can't just rush into things physically."

"You wish me to woo you?"

"I guess. I want to know you in here." She places a hand on his chest and then to his temples. "And in here."

A boyish grin plays on his face. "You have not come to visit my home as you promised. The time never seemed right to ask. Perhaps now is that time."

"I would love to see where you live." She claps her hands together. "I will need to check in with Darish each day."

The sheet slips down revealing her clothes from last night. "I need to get out of this Arabian night's getup."

A bemused look passes across Kai's face, which is replaced by longing as she climbs out of bed.

"No naughty thoughts," she chastises playfully.

Kai crosses his arms, though there is no anger in the move and argues, "I am allowed to keep my own thoughts."

After grabbing some clean clothes, Elissa skips into the bathroom and steps under the warm spray of the rain chamber; a soppy smile spreads across her face.