Chapter 45 - Kiss of Fate

Elissa awakens after a fitful night; even sleep did not provide the oblivion she desires. The pillow is still damp with tears and each breath is strained, as if the weight of the world is upon her. The room is stifling and she needs to escape the confines of the palace.

Not wishing to encounter anyone, she moves like the wind; a phantom rush of silk and moonlight hair. Outside the sky is grey, but she is numb to the chill of the early morning air.  The grass is heavy with dew and the hem of her silk nightgown becomes soaked as her bare feet carry her to the sacred trees.

There within the circle is a unicorn, or more accurately the unicorn that brought her back to Elysium. As she reaches him, a supernova flashes in one of his dark eyes and the clouds part allowing the red glow from the dawning sun to bathe them in light.

Morning mist rises, rosey in the morning light, while gold veined leaves flutter down from the sacred trees. The mist and the leaves entwine in a dance to the butterflies song and settle into the form of a woman sitting astride the unicorn.

Elissa gasps to see Gaia for the second time. Her form is slightly different but the same eyes of glaciers stare down at her.

The goddess's voice is also different and carries with it the sound of falling autumn leaves, the lengthening of evenings and the scent of ripened fruit.

My sweet child. It saddens me to see your light so diminished. Come to me.

Elissa steps closer, her heart hammering in her chest. She can taste wild magic in the air.

You are not alone. I have watched over you for your whole life. I am always with you, whether it be in the smile of a sunbeam, the whisper of a butterfly's wing, or raindrops to wash away your tears.

Your mother's last wish is fulfilled for you are loved wherever you go. That, my dear, is not by my doing but by your own.  Know this. Hades is wrong, for love is your strength not your weakness. It is the key to keeping Elysium safe.

Gaia reaches out an arm of mist sparkling with tiny refracted rainbows and cups Elissa's cheek. Suddenly Elissa is surrounded by blinding light. As it fades, she finds herself alone, but in her chest golden magic pulses.

.....

Elissa scans the room and all the expectant faces looking at her; before her stand the members of the Royal Council as well as her closest friends and confidants in Avalon. She takes a shaking breath before starting.

"I want to explain why I have gathered you all here. I had hoped to keep my private life to myself; alas sometimes a queen must do what is in the best interests of her kingdom."

She places a hand on her chest. "My heart is broken. That, you have most probably already deduced. However, my frailties bring danger to Elysium. Through me, Hades has the power to break the barrier protecting us from Tartarus."

She raises her hand to stop the protestations that she sees forming on some of her friends' lips.

"Cracks have already formed on one of the old gateways in the Dragonite kingdom."

The Dragonites instinctively reach for the hilts of their swords and there are several gasps. Garrett, the head of the guard, doesn't react, so evidently either her father or the Watcher have already confided in him.

"Gaia came to me this morning. She gave me strength and reminded me that I am not alone." She takes the time to look each and every one of them in the eye. "I cannot express in words how grateful I am to have such good friends and I will rely on you all in the coming moons."