Chapter 6 - Walking on air

Elissa wakes to see Lucifer lying on the bed beside her; he is still dressed and has respectfully remained on top of the covers. He refused to leave after the incident with Nero, insisting on keeping an all night vigil. However, sleep must have overcome him.

A soft light illuminates the room and bathes his face, making it seem more innocent. The sight causes her feelings towards him to soften slightly.

Something grates on her senses and, looking up, she finds Cosmos stood at the foot of the bed, gazing wistfully at his son. Slowly, his golden-yellow gaze is drawn to her.

He frowns at her black hair and shakes his head, declaring, "I fear that Morpheus will not easily relinquish his claim upon you."

His voice is too loud for her liking, so she urges him to hush, gesturing wildly towards Lucifer's sleeping form. She doesn't want him to know about Morpheus.

"Alas, he cannot hear us. This is but a dream." Cosmos's golden eyes dull with pain and regret.

Her heart aches for him; if there is a way to reunite father and son, even for a moment, then she is going to try it. Gently, she shakes Lucifer and calls out his name.

"It is impossible," comes Cosmos's resigned response.

Undeterred, she tries again, "Lucifer, open your eyes for me."

Slowly Lucifer's heavily lashed lids flutter. He props himself up facing her and blinks owlishly. He looks quite cute with his hair all mussed up.

Giving her a quizzical look, he asks is a husky voice, "Is everything alright?"

Not sure how to broach it, she simple gestures her head towards Cosmos and Lucifer's gaze follows the motion.

"Father!" Lucifer calls out, reaching out a hand in disbelief.

"My son," Cosmos chokes with emotion. He grasps his son's hand and pulls him into a tight embrace.

"I am so sorry. Please forgive me. I never meant to harm you," Lucifer half sobs.

Cosmos shakes his head, insisting, "The fault lies with me."

It is a bittersweet reunion and Elissa hastily wipes away a tear.

"How is this possible?" Lucifer asks.

"Elissa's dreamscape gives form to my spirit."

"She is a true wonder." Lucifer's eyes shine with admiration. "Father, I have foreseen that Elissa will be my queen. It would mean so much to me if you approve of our union."

"Lucifer," Cosmos chastises his son with humour, "it is customary to court the lady first." He turns to Elissa. "You may not wish to hear this, but Avalon is where you are meant to be and I cannot see anyone who will suit you as well as my son."

At Lucifer's grin, she puts her hands on her hips and, half-annoyed, half-amused, interjects, "Excuse me, but you are both in my dream and I will not have you ganging up on me."

Cosmos holds up an appeasing hand to her. "Before I get too distracted, I came to remind you of your quest." He switches his focus to his son. "Lucifer, you must convene the Royal Council on the summer solstice. At sunrise, Elissa will uncover the Light of Elysium."

.....

It is morning when Elissa awakes for real. Lucifer is still sleeping peacefully; curled up on top of the bed in crumpled clothes. Quietly slipping out of bed, she gently places a quilt over him.

Grabbing a change of clothes, she goes into her bathroom. Calling out 'securus', she magically seals the door behind her. While her attitude towards the king may have improved, it hasn't improved that much.