Chapter 14

"Where are you? I haven't heard from you and you haven't been in school for three days! I am worried! Lilly x"

 My phone made a sharp noise as I glanced over the screen. I have been so caught with this whole mess back in Mirante I had forgotten to tell anyone that I had actually left the country.

"Don't worry. I am quite well. I had to fly home for an emergency but do not worry. Will speak soon x" 

The sound of my fingers dancing along my phone screen had successfully distracted me from worrying about tonight's dinner with Meredith. Perhaps I should be more accepting and more open minded, for all I know everything I have heard about her could be rumours.

"Hey, I went past your apartment the other day and heard you left in a hurry. Hope everything is well... Thinking of you, Riley x" My phone pinged as I went to place it down. Oh yes, dear Riley, I had almost forgotten about the awkward encounter before my return to Mirante.

Not really a great time. I set my phone down and returned to my dressing table and finished my look with a lipstick and settled the curls in my hair between my fingers.

"Pip are you ready?" A soothing voice pierced through my mahogany door.

"Yes Ollie, I am coming." I slipped on the last of my jewellery and opened the door to a tuxedo wearing Oliver. I faced him with an emerald green off the shoulder gown, paired with a muted red lip and nude heels.

"Come on chip. Everyone is dying to see you." Ollie held out his elbow and I took his arm. We began our decent towards the drawing room where Papa and Meredith were gathered for pre-dinner drinks. "You look amazing tonight Pip." Ollie whispered.

"It's Your Highness and don't call me chip, I am not a potato. 

"You must learn to take a compliment chip, your sense of humour could start to sting." Ollie muttered.

"Charming!" I chucked as we enter the drawing room.

"Dear girl, how you have grown. You have been missed..." My Father planted a kiss on my left cheek before introducing Meredith.

"I had pleasure of making Ms. Brothermere's acquaintance earlier today, a charming women I must admit." I reached out my hand to signal Meredith to curtsy.

"Ms. Brothermere , my dear friend Prince Oliver Norman-Hughes of Vinz." I gestured to Ollie who took Meredith's hand and planted a friendly kiss.

"Oh what a dashing chap, Kingsley we must ensure Pippa and the Prince joins us at the wedding. I cannot imagine a greater, more joyous way to celebrate our special day." Meredith exclaimed whilst pressing half of her body against my Father. Her stricking green eyes locked onto mine reassuring me that her wedding into my family is imminent.

"Many congratulations again! Pip and I would be delighted, won't we darling?" Ollie placed his arm around me whilst raising his glass of champagne. I shot Ollie an unapproving look which was acknowledged by him.

"I am pleased for you both Father. I wish you the happiest of futures." My Father's lips slammed shut and he took to his champagne for diversion.

James' joined the drawing room and relieved us of the tension by calling us to dinner. We took our respective seats as the courses were served.

"Phillipa, please tell me about your time in America so far. Have you settled in nicely, making new friends?" My Father asked.

"Yes Papa, I am very much enjoying my time away, especially please to have met new friends. Ollie has been a great comfort and visits often." I leaned towards Ollie as if to show gratitude.

"You two are sweet, aren't they a great match Kingsley? They remind me of us...." Meredith placed her hand on my Fathers, her sideward grin moving closer and closer to the edge of her face.

"I am glad you are enjoying yourself Pippa. However, you must think about returning soon. We have a lot of work to do before your coronation." My Father said in between sips of wine.

"Kingsley, I thought we were going to discuss this when Annabelle and Finley returns to Mirante next week?" Meredith jumped from her seat, nearly spilling soup from her spoon.

"Annabelle and Finley?"

"That's right. Your step brother and sister to be. They are Meredith's children and they are due to return next week from their year abroad in Australia." I am astounded at my Father's frankness and somewhat surprised that he has waited until now to make such disclosure.

My fist were clenched so tight under the able that I am beginning to lose feeling in my fingers. Ollie placed his arm soft palms on top of my knuckles squeezing it slightly.

"Papa I must admit that I am upset that you neglected to inform me, however, I understand and look forward to meeting them. I can only hope that you can afford a similar level of honest with me going forward."

"Dear girl, there is one other thing...." My Father's voice lowered.

"We're pregnant!" Meredith sang with both arms in the air.

She is... what?!