Chapter 3

Chapter 3 

I shot a sideward glance at Riley as he tucked into his chicken salad. Although momentary distracted by his unmanly choice of lunch (it did look much more desirable than mine), I still found myself lost in transit as my eyes travelled down his perfectly conditioned blonde hair.

“Ahem” Riley cleared his throat, but I can’t help but pick up a sense of uneasiness in his tone.

“So, did you just move into town then?” Riley asked. I think I answered with yes, or muttered something to that effect.

Please do understand how incredibly nervous I am. Up until this point in my life, any form of male companionship I’ve ever found tolerable I owed to my father, James the butler and on occasions, my cousin Prince Eric. Before today, boys who are genuinely nice and not a total bore were myths. Much less a guy as dashing as the one I see before me.

“Pippa!” Lily’s palm travelled across my face several times before I blinked to respond.

“Yes?”

“Riley asked you a question!” Lily shot her pupils to my left where Riley sat, I was quick to apologise and begged that he repeated the question.

“I said, how about coffee this Saturday?” I’ve watched enough trash TV and rom-coms to recognise this to be code for a date. I just find it hard to believe when someone as gorgeous as Riley says it to me.

“Of course! I’ll have James book a table at the finest cafe in town right away!” Excited, I point my finger in air.

“Who’s James?” Oops! Forgetting once again I am just Pippa now. Although I must say James’ company is long overdue, who should lay out my satin pyjamas before bed or make sure my tights warm up to the right temperature in the morning now?

“I mean, be sure to notify me in due course!” Riley’s gave a subtle laugh before picking up his lunch tray to leave.

“I’ll pick you up at 12, message me your address. Bye girls.” He smiled and waved. His peachy bottom became the subject of everyone’s attention as he left the lunch hall. Shortly after he did, Lily screamed into my ear in the most unsettling manner.

“You missy, should probably start planning your funeral.” Even if my experience with high-school politics did not surpass the last four hours, something tells me that friends tend to congratulate each other should one land a hot date.

Oh of course! Bree the pen tapping monster. If I can excuse her tacky hair extensions and the neon orange paint she calls a tan, she might actually pose as a threat. I should probably concern myself with the possibility of death or significant personal injury if I am to attend this date. But Riley is too dreamy to give up without a fight.

With my friend’s blessings, the rest of the week was rather uneventful, just the way I’d hoped. Before long it was Saturday, Lily and the gang gathered around my new rented apartment, demolishing chocolate covered strawberries on my new four poster bed.

“What do you girls think?” I gave a mini swirl as I swung the en suite door open, a little white number of the new McQueen collection draped over my body. I trod carefully in a brand new red pair of mui mui heels that I took the liberty to purchase for my date. Although I must admit, this ensemble was better suited when my face was freckle and glasses free.  

Louise spat out her strawberry and Lily’s jaw dropped in horror. Not quite the reaction I was expecting if I’m honest.  

 “You do realise he’s only taking you to Starbucks?” I’ve never been to Starbucks before, but I’ve heard good things about it.

“Come on, I think someone needs a make-under!” Lily rose from my bed and towered over me with a smile I can only describe as scary. 

************************************

I have returned! I thank you for waiting and do hope you enjoy the story from now on. I promise to upload relatively soon, keep the encourgagement coming guys! Much love x