See You When I See You

Brantley was busy with studio stuff after Lauren and I had our gab fest yesterday so I text him to see if we could meet up today. He happily obliged, letting me know that they were having another fire at their house tonight. I was going to head over beforehand to get it done and over with and get out of there before everyone decided to show up and it became a spectacle.

I sat in front of my vanity, curling my chocolate brown hair in loose curls. I was going to break up with this wonderful guy because I wasn't ready to move on. I didn't have to look the messy part as well. Setting the curling iron down, I tousled some tendrils and applied some mascara. I leaned over to the side of the marble counter and reached for one of my crutches. I was finally down to one and could hobble just fine with it. My eyes were no longer that weird yellow shade after having bruises and my ribs were healing just fine. There was an upside to all of this.

I made my way back across to my room to grab my beige leather jacket that I loved so much and left to see Brantley. I sat quietly in the passenger seat of Lauren's truck as she went on and on about Kolby. I drowned her out, staying in my own thoughts. I hadn't even realized that we arrived.

"Earth to Nora. Are you going to come join us or just sit in the truck admiring the fire all night?" Lauren asked, waving her freshly manicured hand in front of my face.

I shook my head, "I'm coming."

I got out of the truck and looked around. So much for arriving before everyone had gotten there. Brantley was sitting under the deck on some Adirondack chairs with a few other people. One girl was looking a little too friendly for my liking just by the way she was staring at him without flinching.

Brantley looked up from the bimbo and flashed me one hot smile. Oh dear Lord, do not let him change your mind.

"Hey, baby girl." He got up and walked over to my side without the crutch and helped me to the seat he was sitting in.

"Brantley, why don't we continue our conversation somewhere....less crowded." The bimbo just did not get the hint.

"I'm sorry. My BOYFRIEND would like to stay with me. Why don't you go find someone else that wants to sleep with you and be on your way." I was getting annoyed to the point where I just couldn't keep my mouth shut.

My response received an ohhhhh from the guys sitting around and Lauren couldn't help but release one of her huge belly laughs.

Brantley looked at me, "Damn, babe. Someone is on top of their game tonight."

I looked at him. Just do it. Just tell him what you have to say and leave, fast. "Yeah, well, I don't know how on top of my game I really am. Can we talk?'

The guys looked at us and took that as their cue to go somewhere, anywhere, that wasn't there. Brantley looked down at the ground, waiting for his friends to pass him before he looked up at me.

"I swear, there was nothing going on with that girl. I don't even...."

I placed my hand on his to stop him, "I know. It's not that." I looked in to his green eyes, biting my lip. Don't chicken out. You need to tell him how you really feel, I thought to myself. But I didn't know how I really felt. I was a big ball of all kinds of emotions. I made a rash decision and just blurted it out.

"We can't be together. I'm not ready. We are going way too fast. I'm not sure when I will be able to move on, but it's not right now. I'm sorry." Woah. I must've spoken a thousand miles a minute. Brantley just sat there, trying to comprehend what just came out of my mouth. I couldn't even comprehend what I had just said, but I said it. I pulled my leather jacket around me a little tighter, shifting uncomfortably waiting for him to answer.

He stared at me for another minute before pulling his hand out of mine. He stood up ready to walk away as I grabbed his arm, "Brantley...."

He pulled back, "Have a goodnight, Nora. Enjoy the bonfire. I'll see you around." His words hit me like that cold pond water did a couple months ago. I was suddenly feeling nauseous. Did I really just tell him I did not want to be with him, when we had incredible sex two nights beforehand. When I was happy every time I heard my phone go off, hoping it was him. I sat there in silence as I watched Brantley walk away up towards the field where everyone else had been gathering around the fire. Yup, I really did.