Prologue

My phone buzzed on the leather seat next to me for the fifth time as I sat in the gravel drive beside the house. The light coming from the back field grazed my cheeks through the windshield, revealing a few freckles from the long summer days. I swept my chocolate brown hair away from my eyes and looked down at my phone. One missed call and four text messages.

"Where are you?"

"You should be here."

"....everyone is asking about you."

"You are letting them win. You are stronger than that. Suck it up."

I threw my phone back down. I waited one more moment and decided to get out of my white Tahoe. Stuffing my keys into my gold clutch and tucking it under my bare arm, I paused for another quick second before heading towards the barn that was standing tall and alone in that back field.

I could hear everyone chatting among themselves with a loud familiar giggle seconds later.

"Ugh." I groaned to myself as I reached the open doors of the barn. I scanned the room of countless tables.

"Nora." An older woman with black, short hair and perfectly manicured fingers waved a hand in the air, motioning for me to join.

I looked around to make sure no one else had noticed and made my way over to the round table occupied by a handful of people.

"I see you took my advice." The woman smirked.

"Momma didn't raise no fool." I smiled, kissing my lovely mother on the cheek.

"That's right. Now, why don't you go grab yourself a plate of food and I'll get you a glass of wine."

I nodded. I set my clutch down and walked over to the long rectangular table in the corner, my heels clicking on the wooden floor. It all looked so good, but I had almost no appetite.

I grabbed a small paper plate and was picking through the fruit salad when I felt someone's eyes on me.

"I forgot to tell them no strawberries."

I slowly lifted my head. His tattoos and those silver rings matching his rough southern voice. I could just see his bright green eyes peering at me from underneath that damn black hat he always wore.

"Oh, that's okay." I placed my plate on the table. Shifting, I stood up straight and looked him square in the eye.

"I'm glad you showed up.....and I know Jana appreciates it too."

"Yeah, well, you know me." I laughed quietly.

"Yeah, I do."

I went for my plate again when his warm hand covered mine, " Brant...."

We were interrupted by a slender body scooting herself up next to us.

"Brantley, baby, I want you to come meet one of my friends from back home.....oh, hey Nora."

"Jana." I greeted her, "Congratulations. This is a beautiful engagement party." I pointed to the room.

"Thank you." Jana slid her arm around Brantley, sticking her hand in his back pocket.

After a moment, I cleared my throat, "Well, I'll let you two lovebirds get back to your friends and family. I'm gonna eat my fruit salad and head out. Congrats again."

I gestured politely with my plate in hand and walked over by a garbage can in the corner. I scarfed down some blueberries, pineapple, and mango then chucked the plate. I made my way back over to the table my mother was sitting at.

"I'm going to go. I'll call you in the morning for coffee momma." I lightly kissed her cheek and reached for my belongings.

Before she could try to persuade me again that I was better off, I was clicking my feet fast out the open barn doors. I was practically at a joggers pace when I heard someone not far behind. A rough hand gripped my arm, bringing me to a complete stand still.

I swiveled around and met his chest with my eyes. I peered up.

"Nora, don't leave. I want to talk to you." His cool silver rings running down my arm to my hand, sending shivers all over my body.

"Please, Brantley." I pleaded, "Just let me go."

"I can't." His voice was hoarse.

I stood there just staring, still holding onto his hand.

"I'm so sorry, Nora. I never meant to...."

I cut him off mid sentence, "Bullshit!" I shouted, ripping my hand away. Tears were fighting their way to form in my honey colored eyes.

"It's not bullshit." He began to move closer to me.

"It is and you know it! You knew I cared for you. You knew I would give up anything to be with you and you still, STILL could give two shits, B." I was furious now, hot tears gracing my cheeks. "Jana was a quick solution because she was pretty, easy, and in the industry. You didn't even bat an eye towards me when I have done nothing but help you. You're an asshole, Brantley. A typical guy. Just like your father."

"How dare you." He growled in that low voice that normally drove me wild.

"How dare I? How dare I? " I didn't care that a few party goers had gathered at the barn doors. I ran the rest of the way to my Tahoe. I got in and slammed the door.

"Screw him." I cursed, smacking my hands against the hard steering wheel. The tears were flowing freely now as I sped out of the driveway and down the road. 

The next morning the sun peeked through the plantation blinds in the living room of the small, white house. Birds were chirping happily as the trees swayed in the summer breeze.

My head. It was pounding. Or was that someone knocking at the door? Either way, I needed aspirin quickly. I sat up, still wearing my black dress pants and cream sleeveless blouse from last night. I put a hand on my forehead. Oh last night. I gradually padded across the dark wooden floor to the front door.

"You look like hell."

"Good morning to you too, momma." I sarcastically smiled, stepping out of the way to let her in.

"Get dressed. We are going to the coffee shop. You might want to wash the mascara off your cheeks and run a comb through that rat's nest too." She swirled her finger around, pointing at me.

I huffed and strolled down the hallway to my bathroom. I got close to the mirror as I ran a warm cloth over my normally clear complexion. "Momma was right."

I sighed as I combed my hair up into a messy bun. I threw on a pair of jean shorts and black tank top and found my flip flops under my bed. I grabbed my sunglasses on the island in the kitchen as I  popped three advil.

We walked into Cream & Shuga, the local coffee shop in Jefferson. I ordered an iced coffee and sat down at a table by the window, gazing out at the street. My mother came beside me and sat down with her hot chocolate. How she could drink something hot in 90 degree weather was beyond me. I smiled over at her.

"Honey, before we talk about last night... there is something I want you to see." She replied calmly, laying her soft hand in mine. I nodded quietly. She pulled her phone from her purse and laid it in front of me, a google search page on the screen.

The Wedding is off: Brantley Gilbert and Jana Kramer call it quits.

The country crooners have been together for........ The words were blurring together. I frantically looked up, searching my mother's face. There was no expression, just a nod. I slid her phone back to her and took a sip of my iced coffee, biting the straw. A nervous habit.

"Darling," she began, but I abruptly got up and walked out the door.