That Late Night, Porch Light Stare

The two of us walked in an awkward silence for a few minutes, only crickets chirping in the night air, before Brantley spoke up. "So, Nora. Why were you running, really?" His rough voice hit something in me. It reminded me of Robbie a little. Kind of heart warming I supposed. And hot.

"Everything was getting too loud. I thought I was going crazy. It reminded me of a night I don't ever want to have to live through again." I spilled. Woah, I have never opened up so quickly to anyone before. It was like my words wouldn't stop coming out. " I lost my boyfriend to a reckless act about six months ago. Drinking took his life. I thought I would be ok, but I am just not ready to be around it all again."

Brantley stopped us when we got to a big rock by a smaller pond on the property just outside the darkened woods. He took a seat and lightly patted the spot next to him. I straightened my leather jacket and walked around next to him.

"You can sit. I don't bite. Well, unless that's what you are in to. In that case, I can make an exception."

'What is with you guys and biting?" I shook my head and sat down.

"Do you really want to know, darlin'?" He chuckled, raising an eyebrow in my direction.

"No. No I don't." I raised my left hand up to stop him.

We sat there, neither one of us saying a word, just staring at the pond. The full moon was shining brightly on the water, looking like glass perfection.

"I almost lost my life to a reckless act."

I didn't say anything. I didn't look his way either.

"I was thrown from the back window of my truck. I honestly thought I was done for. All I kept thinking was how I never said goodbye to my momma or pops when I left the house that day. I had a fight with my little brother moments before." He started to trail off. I could feel fresh hot tears forming at the corners of my honey brown eyes.

"Can we change the subject?" I choked a little, not wanting to hear anymore. I told Robbie I hated him. Those were the last words he heard from me. I didn't need to be reminded of how terrible that is.

"So, how do you know everyone?" Brantley shifted in his spot, now looking at me. I looked away from the beautiful sight of the night before me over to his sparkling green eyes.

"Lauren is my best friend. She hangs with Cody and the rest of them all the time. How do you know everyone?"

"Well, Kolby is my brother. This is our house." He stated matter of factly, pointing towards their beautiful cabin like home. Wow I felt like an idiot. I was at this person's house and I didn't even realize it. I knew I recognized him when he stopped me, but I guess I didn't really put two and two together. I knew a lot of people in Jefferson and a lot about them, except the Gilberts now that I think about it.

"Oh."

He laughed his low laugh and went back to looking out over the pond.

"Nora, I think it would be a good time to go." Lauren's voice came ringing out from behind us, stirring me from my thoughts. "These boys are getting a little rowdy."

"Yeah, okay." I stood up and adjusted my pant legs. " It was nice to meet you, Brantley."

"You too, Nora. Have a good night ladies." He got up as well and made his way up towards the house.

I followed closely behind Lauren as we walked to the Tacoma. I looked up on the porch one last time, where Brantley was looking down at us. He nodded and kept staring. I blushed a little and hopped in the passenger side.

Lauren waited until we were half way down the back road before she spoke up, "What in the hell was that?!"

I just shrugged my shoulders. I had no idea what that was. "He was just a listening ear, I suppose."

"Oh woah. No way. That was more than just a listening ear, girl. Did you see the way he was staring at you from the porch. You ever heard of the saying if looks could kill? I'm pretty sure any girl would've died from a look like that."

I guess Lauren was right. I mean, he was some big shot country star, and very popular among the people in town. I definitely wasn't ready for any of that kind of stuff yet. And I was pretty shaken up. I ignored the rest of what she was saying as I kept my eyes out the window, watching the trees pass by at a fast pace as we drove along the winding roads.

"Alright, since you didn't pay any attention to what I have been saying, I'll just stop by tomorrow morning for some girl time." Lauren sighed, shooing me out of her truck when she pulled into my driveway.

"Okay. Night Laur." I smiled weakly and headed to my front door. I could see in the picture window of the living room. Momma was sitting on the couch with her reading glasses and pajamas on, intent on finishing a puzzle she had been working on forever. I shook my head and laughed to myself, going inside. However, the one thing I couldn't help but shake was the feeling of Brantley staring down at me, no matter what I turned my mind to.

A/N: Thank you everyone for voting and reading! I am sorry this is kind of a slower chapter and shorter. I love the comments! Keep'em coming. New chapter soon :)